Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wow! How do you have time for anything else?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I found a lot of cool older maps and books in Hay-on-Wye (Y Gelli Gandryll). A treat to walk the streets.

Dafydd and DonnaML like this.
  4. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Currently, I’m (loosely) trying to learn German. Or at least, improve my understanding of it? It’s not easy. That’s why I find your story humorous. :)

5. KDD

KDD Member

Unfortunately, I don't have time for all that I want to do and some of those things listed are simply aspirations, or dreams. I used the word maneuverability (or my perverse spelling of it) to describe my issues, as mobility conjures images of being stuck in a wheelchair. But more or less I am stuck in a way that I can't get about so things remain dreams at this stage.

Right now as I am too tired round the clock to do anything, I tend to watch documentaries and the occasional koala video on YouTube. It feels like a waste of time, but I guess I am learning something along the way.

6. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Our first ten days in Germany were spent in a required "Basic German" class, before even being sent to whatever Army unit we were going to. The class was named correctly, as it was very basic, but got you somewhat familiar with asking directions, time, etc. None of which mattered, of course, since the locals spoke better English than any of us ever spoke German.

HAB Peace 28 2.0 and Kentucky like this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

One of my niece's sons was stationed in Germany for 8+ years and I don't think he got beyond "guten tag"

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

German is very easy to learn. French on the otherhand is really hard. I took French for 5 years in highschool, can hardly converse with someone/ I picked up German, growing up as a kid/ spoke it perfectly by ten. So, in 5 years, living at home with German parents/ was way better then 5 years of French classes in highschool.;)

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  9. Kentucky

"...don't know much about French I took..."

-jeffB and panzerman like this.
  10. panzerman

One of my other pastimes is cars. I always loved American musclecars of the 50s/60s. My fav. is the classic 67 Corvette with 427/435HP engine/ with a automatic trans./ sidepipes. The roar of the engine is fantastic, thru the sidepipes. I have a new Corvette now, but they are not as beautifull as the old ones. I once took it upto 286kph. on a secluded hwy. Scary though....
    Now, they are able to custom build a ultimate dream machine. A 67 Sting Ray body on a modern C-6 drivetrai 158264493.jpg n. Here is a photo/ might look into getting this. Probably way cheaper then a frame off fully restored original 67 427/435 HP Tripower version.

11. Kentucky

Damn, that's about 180 mph!!!

spirityoda, midas1 and panzerman like this.
  12. panzerman

But its not as scary as doing 135 mph on a snowmobile. We where on the Nation River and tried our machines for topend. Doing a speed of 100mph., when you gunned it full throttle, you could lift the front skis off the ice surface/ it gives you quite the rush. Our snowmobile trails have a posted speed limit of 30mph./ most drive triple that or more;) But then at 30mph you would fall asleep from boredom.....

spirityoda and midas1 like this.
  13. HAB Peace 28 2.0

You just have to keep up on French. That really fascinates me, that you think French is harder than German? But sometimes in linguistics, a language can really click with someone, and sometimes, one doesn’t? My mom is French too. That obviously, kind of helped me in my teens :happy:.

panzerman likes this.
  14. HAB Peace 28 2.0

Yes. In general, many Germans speak good English. Sometimes, French too.

panzerman likes this.
  15. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

So German's easy to learn eh Panzerman? Hmmmm.... 30 years after taking on learning German as a personal challenge I still murder article genders, cases give me the eebie jeebies und meiner wortsatz ordnung ganz schrecklich ist!

meiner? meinem? meine? who knows (case in point!)

Rasiel

panzerman likes this.
  16. panzerman

I grew up my first 6 years in Germany/ in Julich (formerly the Duchy of Julich-Cleve-Berg) By the time we moved to Canada, I entered grade one/ but I spoke German at home. Of course not going to German schools I never learned to write it/ I can read printed German. However, I had a really tough time with my French class. I think the only way to learn a language properly, is to be immersed in it for years. Its not good enough to have an hour French class/ 5 days a week/ then be exposed to (in my case) English/ German 24/7.
    John

midas1 and HAB Peace 28 2.0 like this.
  17. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Would you believe that the Deacon learned to drive on a 68 Plymouth GTX?

Amazing days! :hilarious:

image1.jpg

Marsyas Mike, midas1 and panzerman like this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I took French in High School for 1 year. All I can to is count to 20 in French, higher in English, less in Spanish and German. I could never understand French. Everything was masculine or feminine. La or Le. When the chair was one and the desk was the other and both were made from wood, I still can't understand that.

panzerman likes this.
  19. panzerman

That would be an awesome car to learn how to drive. Lots of fun doing burnouts. I had a ride in a GTX with a 440/sixpak, pretty powerfull to say the least. I think they also came with a Hemi 426. I have a lawn client who has the, "General Lee" 69 Charger, exact car from the Dukes of Hazzard TV show/ Confederate Flag and paint job.:)

20. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

L-71 option ?

panzerman likes this.
  21. panzerman

Yes, the L-71 is the 435HP TriPower version. Unfortunately, they only produced this option with the manual trans.:( I would have to opt. for the L-68 (427-400HP) since they came with powerglide (automatic trans.) I have never driven a standard manual. But, that modern version of a 67 classic on a C-6 drivetrain sounds like the perfect car.:) Best of both eras.

Peter Economakis and midas1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted