Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

So....you broke it in today?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I wish. As I like to say where I live, it's hotter than Satan's bunghole...so going out riding is hard to do. I bet it takes me another month at least.

Nyatii likes this.
  4. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

That's the most vivid description of excessive temperature
    that I've read.

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

So I guess this fall into the hobby category:

IMG_20190713_120008572.jpg

Jet skis are fun!

6. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Bought this last night at an auction.

Rodin's The Thinker w/ a Major Eating Disorder
    Bronze 10"x5" signed NOEE probably Luis Noee

sculpture bronze skeleton1.jpg

LaCointessa, Ryro, Theodosius and 7 others like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I also like the "Christmas Story" lamp. My son bought me one not long after the movie was released.

midas1, Ryro, ominus1 and 3 others like this.
  8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

We watch that every Xmas.. my wife of 24 years has seen me slowly morph into the father..

9. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

A major Award!

midas1 likes this.
  10. Ken Dorney

I also have a leg lamp. It comes out each December as part of the decorations!

1.jpg

Nyatii, midas1, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Lol,

12. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

The shop also had a full size leg lamp but my house is small w/ no more room to properly display the full size lamp.

Bing and Nyatii like this.
  13. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Here's something I haven't shown off in a while, my current effort at fishkeeping. It is a labor of love, as it is expensive at times, and exhausting at times with all the tank maintenance. But then you see a fat healthy fish look at you with it's fishy little eyes, and it's all worth it.

This is my 29 gallon nano tank, with cory catfish, harlequin rasboras, and neon tetras.

14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I also keep fish! I have finally managed to get down to just one tank; a 125 gal freshwater. It is basically self sufficient except monthly water top ups. Very calming to watch them all swim around.

15. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

With this 29 I clean the filter and do a 20% water change every week, and scrape the glass for algae. Other than that I don't do anything else to it. The powerhead keeps the sandy substrate free of food detritus and sends it all to the filter, which has lessened my maintenance routine somewhat.

LaCointessa and furryfrog02 like this.
  16. Ken Dorney

I had fish for many years, but at a certain point I couldnt keep up with the kids and fish at the same time! Now, my house is smaller so there is no longer room.

Ah well. I did get out recently to enjoy my other hobby, riding. In the photo below you can see Shasta Dam and Lake, behind the clouds on the right is the volcano of the same name.

IMG_9828.jpg

17. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

I never had fish but worked in fisheries for many years.
    Theres a memorable scene in the movie 'Adaptation' that pretty much sums up my feelings towards the end.
    Nothing against the actual fish of course :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I enjoyed fish and had a 60-gallon tank in the late '80s.

spirityoda likes this.
  19. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I just retired my business, Saltwater reefkeeping. I set up many many tanks for businesses and individuals. I could no longer carry buckets of salt, tanks, stands, water, boxes of live rock, etc. Trying to contort and fit my aging self underneath stands was an impossible feat.

20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I had a fish tank with African chiclids. Is was to much work for me.

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

In the early 1960's I worked in our family aquarium store. In the early 1970's I took many fish photos and was designated the 'Official Photographer' of the American Cichlid Association where I met a Florida fish farmer who occasionally sent me then new and different fish he wanted photographed. At the time he was working on setting up Tilapia ponds in underdeveloped parts of the world to feed hungry people. Americans did not eat Tilapia then. I got to keep the fish.

In 1974, my daughter was born and we converted the fish room to a nursery so had to cut down to just one tank. The thrill went away. That was the same time I sold off my coins thinking we needed to eat.
    Caquetaia spectabilis (then called Cichlasoma spectabile)
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted