Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I'm the only medieval English literature professor who collects ancient coins and fronts an Americana/rock band in West Tennessee. Jackson, to be precise. Beginning of the Delta. Home of Carl Perkins.
    150919DP_BlueEyedSuns-3.jpg

kountryken, midas1, svessien and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@Gavin Richardson

What guitar are you playing?

My favourite middle English song:

Make we mery, bothe more and lasse
    For now ys the tyme of Crystymas

1. Let no man come into this hall,
    Groom, page nor yet marshall,
    But that some sport he bring withall,
    For now is the time of Christëmas.

2. If that he say he cannot sing,
    Some other sport then let him bring,
    That it may please at this feasting,

3. If he say he can naught do,
    Then for my love ask him no mo,
    But to the stocks then let him go,

4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I leave the Middle English off the set list. Doesn't work for the tip jar.

And that's a Santa Cruz I'm playing. Not especially finger-friendly, but the sound rings out. My electrics are a Fender USA Strat and Tele, and an Epiphone Sheraton Pro. Would love to get a Gibson 335, but that would require more sesterces than I can afford.

silverbullion likes this.
  5. KevinM

KevinM Well-Known Member

That's Me I have been building planes and ships since a child I guess 45+ years now.I have maybe 200+ built out in my shop with a another 200 waiting to be built.My wife convinced me to build a shop out back I have one room an office and the other side is my wood work shop.I have played with wood for about 15-20years and still consider myself a novice.The third hobby is collecting rifles (military) anything with wood on it and I prefer matching #'s a small collect only alittle over 20 in it.Here is a part of the collection the top one is and Argentine 1909 maybe 50rds through it the second a Venezuelan never been fired.The M1 carbine has never been fired and came out of Jerry Kuhnhausen's collection.

Attached Files:

kountryken, dlhill132, alde and 3 others like this.
  6. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Is the display case your work?

7. KevinM

KevinM Well-Known Member

Yea I still got to build doors with plexiglass.The wood is Lyptus from S.A. the inside border(new pic) was not treated with linseed oil left the golden color while the rest of it was treated.I liked the way it broke the monotony and accented the green.I made a octagon vase table for my sister out of Tiger wood,Zebra and the three legs out of Aromatic Cedar.

Attached Files:

8. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

That is impressive.

silverbullion and KevinM like this.
  9. Joea59

Joea59 Member

I've been playing guitar for over 40 years. I've been in a couple of bands and have sit in a couple more. All just small town local. Guitar playing has kept me out of trouble but also got me in trouble. I was playing before I meet my wife of 37 years and she knew about it. But married me anyway. I say that because after we were married she started to see what the guitar really meant to me. She once said, "I WISH I WAS A GUITAR!" But she has also told me to never stop and has been an encouragement. Playing can and has been the best medicine I have ever had. And let me tell you I have had my share of "medicine." There's noting else like playing music. For me it's ROCK N' ROLL!

10. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I have lots of hobbies too - astronomy (a Celestar 8 on an AS-GT mount and an ED-80, neither has been outside in ages), computers, electronics (4 Raspberry Pi boards, a couple of Arduinos, a BananaPi, several FPGA boards, etc., many half-built projects - you get the picture!), tropical fish (some of these must be quite resilient as they have survived for years), running. A few people have mentioned running and I really do enjoy the buzz from it. I started in September 2007 (I was 39 then) when, on a night out with some friends someone said "We should enter the marathon!" and it was a "Eureka!" moment for me. The marathon was at the end of October and I was totally unfit, but managed to get around, in an obviously very slow time. My friends made the mistake of trying to get in some practice and realised immediately that it was going to be a big undertaking and didn't enter. I've done the last 10 Dublin marathons now and improved every year until 2012 (4.03 - the sub-4 got away in a portaloo around mile 20 - 2 minutes stopped. but the real problem was that I couldn't get back to the pace I'd been making). Since then, I've slipped a bit due to lack of training, but maybe this year will be my year. Next run is a 10 mile next Sunday, then a half marathon in March and so on :) I do regret not starting running a bit when younger, but it's never too late to start - we'll have the coins for when we can't run.

ATB,
    Aidan.

11. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

dlhill132, chrsmat71, Gilbert and 2 others like this.
  12. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Art....on coins, on maps, sculpture, paintings, glass, pottery, antiquities. If it pleases my eye, it's a target.

I just bought this at auction Friday evening. An 'out of fashion' 19th century oil from a Belgian painter of modest renown. It seemed apropos.

Painting.jpg Portielje.jpg Painting2.jpg Painting3.jpg PaintingSIg.jpg
    auction house photos

EDWARD ANTOON PORTIELJE
    (BELGIAN, 1861 - 1949)
    The Connoisseur
    46 1/2 inches x 39 inches framed.

13. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I used to draw comics. One was published in a book and many others found their way into blogs and presentations (most people would contact me asking for permission to use them; it was great to see what use people made of them - everything from classrooms to educational displays to technical presentations and others). One person requested a t-shirt, so I made one up, but only one (I never put any effort into merchandising). Most recently, a Psychology Today blog used one of them. After drawing a comic every three days for seven years I decided to either quit or take a break. I'm apparently still on break.

Apart from that I read a lot, learn languages (Spanish, French, Japanese, Arabic, Ojibwe and Old English, to name a few I've dabbled in), play guitar and early banjo, work with microcontrollers such as Arduino, Raspberry Pi and Particle, and learn various computer programming languages and techniques. Years ago I also made some Flash animations. I own some antiquarian books, newspapers and documents, but I don't really collect them. Recently, I bought a few Japanese baseball cards from the 1960s, but I'm not sure if I'll buy more. The well known players can get extremely, almost painfully, expensive. Plus, cardboard isn't exactly a precious metal. Overall, I try not to accumulate too much stuff. I like to keep things simple. Sometimes I succeed, other times not so much.

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Raspberry Pi..thats why I sold my old video games. Did what everyone else is doing, made it a "retro" gaming machine. So nice to have more space on my entertainment center.

Theodosius and akeady like this.
  15. KevinM

KevinM Well-Known Member

That's a Nice painting ;)

red_spork and panzerman like this.
  16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Great thread, I thought I was the only one with too many hobbies! Now, I know different. I have to admit, all of you have some really diverse hobbies, photos, writeups are amazing.
    I am, as you probably know by my past years posts into coins, ancients to the present day. My others collecting pursuits are US/Canada banknotes/ fossils/minerals/miltaria. I used to be an avid collector of insects/butterfies/moths/beetles(these I am now selling/trading for Imperial Roman Aurei) I also have a British colonial stamp collection, which I will sell in future again for coins!
    I also like hunting/skeet shooting, snowmobiling, walking my Rottie, history, working out with weights.....
    Now, my next goal is to buy a frame off restored 1967 Corvette StingRay/427/390HP Roadster/factory Sidepipes/Powerglide Auto(do not know how to drive a manual transmission):(
    John
    acadoaradoxides-nobilis.jpg

17. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thank you, Aethelred! Your thread has become a big hit!

I hope double dipping is allowed because I need to share some images of one of my major hobbies which is button and magnet making. The images show my button making machines and just a few of the ways that I use my custom made buttons in my work.

LONGPEG.jpg

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I like to bowl a little bit. ;) IMG_2075.JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Me too. I'm on three winter leagues. But I'm so inconsistent. One league I may bowl near a 700 series and the next I'm lucky to get a 550 series. My overall average is near 190-5.

20. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

That picture is from me fulfilling a life long dream, bowling on the PBA Tour. It was short-lived, as professional careers go, but it was VERY satisfying!

21. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice form!

mikenoodle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted