Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Indiana post marks. Military cancellations and feld post. DPO CANCELS (ghost towns) are accumulated for sale or trade later.
    Italian covers 6/10/1940 to 9/8/1943.
    German covers 9/1/1939 - 1945.
    Japan covers 1937 - 1945.

Sallent likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Rather than searching 56 pages to see if I said this before, I risk boring all with repetition. I gave up stamps when I decided I could not support them and coins at the same time. I sold most of my better stamps but saved a few - mostly stampless covers and pre Civil War stamps on cover. I have never had interest in collecting things that were made to be collected so I never liked Commemoratives etc. This cover made a lot of stops along the way between the US and France. The contents are missing. Perhaps it was an ancient coin.
    [​IMG]

I have not sold my collection of old photos but no longer buy new examples. This whole plate tintype was free and shows my grandmother's grandfather shortly before he was killed by a train on tracks recently built across his farm. He was stone death and blind in one eye. He was 64.
    [​IMG]

I also have stopped buying meteorites. This one is a Sikhote-Alin that combines the remaglyphed and shrapnel types from this fall (when I one year old). I believe this was a section of the outside of a larger piece that fractured on impact. I have no interest in telescopes. If space rocks what to meet me, they do the travelling. :)
    [​IMG]

I have enjoyed photography for more years than I care to remember. At one time I was very active in national groups that made stereoscopic (3D) photo cards. I don't know if any of them still exist.
    [​IMG]

More recently I specialized in nature but now shoot little except for coins (not shown).
    [​IMG]

Occasionally there is an item that makes more than one collection.
    This is an antique photo stereocard showing the Tuscon Ring meteorite on display in the original Smithsonian Museum building.

I have shown many times my late 1850's stereocard still life including a bracelet made of ancient (Postumus or other Gallic emperor?) coins.
    I always ask to be told of any older photos of ancient coins but have not yet received any links.
    [​IMG]
    If we count the vase of tulips as 'nature' This one touches four hobbies.
    [​IMG]

All my hobbies met on the field of battle and coins emerged victorious.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Those meteorites are amazing looking. Are they quite valuable too ? that 1 on the left WOW.

masterswimmer likes this.
  5. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I couldn't stop myself posting this American stamp. It has name and address and of course unknown souvenirs. I found it in my old folders or carton files.

US Stp. 001.jpg

midas1, Gilbert, Sallent and 3 others like this.
  6. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I'm going to render a guess that all three photos are of the same meteorite. Am I correct @dougsmit ?

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes. That was the whole point of the photo. That specimen shows both types of fragments on one piece. It is easy to get entire specimens one of the other but a bit odd like that one.

spirityoda and masterswimmer like this.
  8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

That is a beautiful meteorite. I know they can sell for $20-$100's per gram. Would you mind sharing some detail about that? How many grams is it?

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

56.9g. I have little use for the idea that weight determines value of a meteorite. It is certainly one factor but other features mean more. It is like coins. Fine style and good strike outrank lack of wear in my book.

10. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

This meteorite is certainly kryptonite. Just staring at it and suddenly I felt weaker and weaker....

C86B44BF-B44D-44B3-BC92-60BAB620FBB8.jpeg

11. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

You'd rather stare at Superman and feel stronger.

12. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

I have too many hobbies. Native plant gardening & field botany, cooking & bread baking, listening to heavy metal and progressive and avant-garde rock & participating on forums for those, and running a small nonprofit that teaches high school students moral philosophy and economics. I used to make time for foreign languages and taught myself Scottish Gaelic (never fluent though - I was much better at the written language).

This is the time of year when I fall in lust with rare native wildflowers as well as coins:
    hepatica-shadow.jpg hepaticae.jpg claytonia-close.jpg painted-trills.jpg reginae2.jpg
    OK, that last one isn't really fair. It's a late June picture from a few years ago. :)

13. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Hello fellow enthusiasts. I have been enjoying myself immensely for the past few weeks lurking and reading the wit and wisdom posted by everyone here.

Ken Dorney says I need to participate on the Forum more - and I always listen to Ken. So here is an update to all of my interests and hobbies (all live links):

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last updated: 17 April 2019
    Non Commercial & Accessible to People with Disabilities

midas1, Theodosius, Jwt708 and 3 others like this.
  14. I think this is the part where I pretend that I've read all of mine.
    Books 1.png
    Books 2.jpg
    Books 3.png
    Books 4.png

15. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I lied about not being able to afford more coins...

Despite buying all those Cuban stamps, I also bought an Alexander drachm and 5 coin catalog books. Now I can finally say with certainty that I'm brocus pocus. Got nothing but cobwebs and mothballs in my wallet. But it was a great month for my hobbies.

16. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I like your imagination. It has a very practical function.

Nyatii likes this.
  17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When we moved to our current house in 2003, I started recording all the living things I found but stopped reshooting the same species when I already had a record of them. This year I have about 20 Pink Ladyslippers but have not thought about trying for an upgrade photo. They come up in slightly different places every year and not every one is a photogenic as its ancestors. I am not as good a photographer as before either.
    https://pbase.com/dougsmit/weeds
    [​IMG]

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Torturing my feet again. ;) A couple of days ago I participated in the Wings for Life World Run (in a relatively small local app run). One interesting aspect is that this run starts at the very same time worldwide - 11.00 UTC which is 13.00 here in Germany, 12.00 in the UK, etc. Also, instead of running a fixed distance, you simply run until the "catcher car" or its virtual equivalent in the app gets you. Well, you know the start time and the speed of the car, so if you know how fast you usually are, you can tell when you will be "caught".

Your signup fees (and donations if you want to) support spinal cord injury research. Had I done this at one of the big runs, I would have been with people who make a few hundred meters "only" - but for somebody in a walker or even an exoskeleton, that is a great achievement. So maybe I'll do this in Munich next year ... or in Sunrise, FL. :)

Christian

20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

and #2 of my real insects collection... Beetle... for size that is a U.S. quarter on the right...

Image03182018114700.jpg

Image03182018114712.jpg
    Image03182018114758.jpg

I hope to add more insects later on this year.

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

That big one which looks life a leaf is actually quite impressive. :)

Christian

midas1 and spirityoda like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted