Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Jedinited

Jedinited Jayhawk Numismatist

Guns, WWII theater knives, pocket watches, Indian artifacts, old ball cards, paperweights...too many hobbies, but enjoyable. IMG_7233.JPG sharps53R2.jpg 2-lg-pott-bowl-040114.JPG thkn119.JPG MVC-002X0095.JPG 161 Type II Elinvar .JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jedinited

Jedinited Jayhawk Numismatist

Gregory Johnston and jamesicus like this.
  4. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Excellent Items. Really like the Henry and Sharps.

I just sold this Martini Henry, along with a Burnside Patent, Harper's Ferry 1816/1831, P38, NIB Rem 600 w/box, 1931 German Tell Pellet gun, and a bunch more.
    Martini Henry Right Side - Entire Rifle.jpg Martini Henry - Dedication Plate -close up.jpg
    Just for fun, here is some Indian bead work I have, along with war clubs, arrows, moccasins, and other stuff, not pictured.
    DSCN0164.JPG DSCN0160.JPG

5. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Did you set up your own little observatory there? Very nice scope! I went to a stargazing party in Arizona once and the host had to check the positioning ever so often just to keep the scope aimed between people taking a look. Your Autostar should help with that.

arizonarobin likes this.
  6. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Anither of my hobbies is collecting and researching antique flintlock firearms.

Napoleonic wars British Light Dragoon pattern pistol

[​IMG]
    British Light Dragoon Pattern Flintlock Pistol, circa. 1813
    .67" caliber, 9" barrel length, 15" overall length, brass furniture

[​IMG]
    One piece steel ram rod with spring retainer

[​IMG]
    Royal crown inscribed on flat lock plate
    Floral leaf decoration on reinforced cock and lock plate tail
    Note: no GR cypher under Crown, No Ordnance broad arrow stamp under pan, no TOWER stamp on tail of lock plate - this pistol was not consigned to the Ordnance Store

[​IMG]
    Barrel Stampings
    Right: Birmingham Proof Mark: Crown over crossed scepters - BPC
    Center: Tombstone Mark: "1" over sitting bird (1813 maker's mark)
    Left: Birmingham View Mark: Crown over crossed scepters - V

Notes

This Light Dragoon pattern flintlock pistol was produced by an unknown British gunmaker c. 1813.

The one piece steel ram rod, secured by a spring retainer, is original to this gun. Light Dragoon Pistols issued from Government Ordnance Stores did not have the acanthus decorative engraving on the side plate and cock and were equipped with one piece brass tipped wooden ram rods during this period.

This pistol may have been privately purchased by a British Army Officer, a common practice during this time, and used during the Napoleonic wars or the War of 1812 in America/Canada.

This style of pistol saw extensive use by British Officers and their Spanish/Portuguese allies during the peninsular war in Spain during 1813-1814, and additionally by Prussian officers at the battle of Waterloo in 1815.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  7. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Collecting and researching Japanese Samurai swords (Nihontô) is another (very expensive) Hobby of mine.
    • Here is an Edo period short (wakizashi)
    [​IMG]

Blade made by an unknown smith (kaji) of Satsuma Province (probably during the Edo period (1603 to 1868). The various mounting components (koshirae) are most likely from different locations and production periods (particularly the kozuka kogatana). The scabbard (saya), has a high gloss vermilion lacquer finish (shu-urushi).

[​IMG]

The blade has a shallow curvature (sori) and is wide, thick and heavy. The blade retaining collar (habaki) is overlaid with gold foil.

[​IMG]

The blade surface pattern (jihada) is very fine wood grain (kô-itame) and is in a good natural sashikomi polish that does not obscure the activity in the temper line (hamon).

[​IMG]

The tang has been shortened and is consequently unsigned and has two peg holes (mekugi-ana).

[​IMG]

A utility knife - kozuka (handle) kogatana (blade) - is in the slot on the (omote) side of the saya.

[​IMG]

The kozuka bears a depiction on both sides of a full Autumn Moon (aki no tsuki) with a deer (Sika) lying down in marsh grass.

[​IMG]

The omote of the kogatana is finished by filing in the traditional way and is boldly inscribed (signed) Tango No Kami Kanemichi - a new sword period (shintô) Mishina province smith (kaji) active in the early to late 1600s.

Many collectors and scholars hold that kogatanas were not made or signed by the smith who produced the blade - those tasks instead being assigned to assistants or apprentices.

[​IMG]

Although slightly scuffed from use, the ura of this kogatana is in good polish with an irregular wavy (notare) temper line (hamon).

The hilt (tsuka) binding (ito) is black silk over ray skin (same). The upper pommel (fuchi) and the en-suite Tachi style (handachi) helmet shaped (kabuto-gane) lower pommel (kashira) are made of shakudô - an alloy of copper and gold.

[​IMG]

The hilt ornaments (menuki) depict Autumn pine mushrooms (Matsutake)

The surfaces of the shakudô upper pommel (fuchi) and lower pommel (kashira) are textured with a fish roe pattern (nanakô) and patinated to a dark violet/black color

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The upper pommel (fuchi) is decorated with gilded high relief temple guard lion dogs (shishi) and peonies (botan).

[​IMG]

The Bushû school pierced iron guard (tsuba) has finely carved Japanese cherry blossoms (sakura).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I really enjoy both of those collections @jamesicus . Very cool.

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I bought this beauty today. Glock 19 Gen5 9mm . I have named her "Bella".

519466_4094833687001038848_n.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  10. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I'm a Colt guy myself....but Good on Ya.

spirityoda likes this.
  11. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

I try to collect some Roman antiquities i.e. l 4epSD6mHry9PT8JaRDf7b2LG5iNn3T.jpg 4rYWL9iM8dEHHPf23BBmRtR76TzNj5.jpg 9xHWBC4y7Lfjd5nXYcH2JE3qwQ286k.jpg 16617ad3.jpg 41239-3.jpg 3683770l.jpg 3717272l.jpg 3998951l.jpg 4065063l.jpg cG5W7B2bQ8k679NtGr3H8K6qw4FF2X.jpg amps, pottery, glass, bricks, etc.

12. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

You guys and your telescopes got me super jealous every time I saw this thread. I had a nice 8 inch reflector in college that was my gift to myself after I got my first internship. Got some great views of the moon and planets with it as well as a handful of DSOs though I rarely had enough free time to use it and eventually had to sell it when I moved across the country.

I finally realized recently that now I've got a house and darker(Bortle 4/5) skies and no good reason not to have one and ordered the 10 inch reflector I've been eyeing ever since I sold my last one.

13. arizonarobin

arizonarobin Well-Known Member

Wow, these are some interesting and very beautiful pieces. Thank you for sharing!
    I started reading this before I realized it was 48 pages long! Might take awhile to get through. :wideyed:

I have another hobby, but its about as far from coins as you can get.

dadams likes this.
  14. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Well you HAVE to share!! That's the whole idea of the thread..

arizonarobin likes this.
  15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have a huge collection of star wars figures, but they are all in 20 large totes. With some mini Lego starwars sets too. Here is my cat figurines collection. I have 3 more Hoselton cats coming soon to complete that collection.

100_3369.jpg
    100_3370.jpg
    100_3371.jpg
    100_3372.jpg
    100_3373.jpg
    100_3374.jpg
    100_3375.jpg
    100_3382.jpg
    100_3383.jpg
    100_3367.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

1572cat copy.jpg
    cat H copy.jpg
    silver cat 1 copy 4.jpg
    cat3 B copy.jpg
    cat2 A copy.jpg
    $_1 (1) copy.JPG

3 Hoselton cats made from cast aluminum are being made for me now...
    s1575.jpg
    2209-PL.jpg
    2669 cat hoselton.jpg
    10577164_584568694997066_1256641077720726817_n copy.jpg

jfreakofkorn and KevinM like this.
  18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

more cat collection...

20767753_1379949362125658_8197584211764261975_n copy.jpg 20708144_1379949448792316_7099152493121926471_n.jpg
    cat 1 copy 3.jpg
    cat C copy.jpg
    cat H copy.jpg
    Silver cat 1 copy 3.jpg
    silver cat 3 copy 3.jpg
    silver cat 5 copy.jpg
    silver cat 4 copy 2.jpg

20. octavius

21. octavius

Draft saved Draft deleted