Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

Ah, fellow gamer, I salute thee!
    [​IMG]
    (Now if only I could keep my desk as neat as yours....)

Gregory Johnston and randygeki like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

If there’s ever a chance, I’d love to line ‘em up and knock ‘me down with you, Bing. Maybe some time if I come down Tampa way...

4. I collect diecast and resin cars (1:24 and 1:43 scale), historical action figures (such as the first Emperor of China and various Japanese Samurai, classic, historical, sci fi, and horror films on DVD and blu-ray, pieces of mosaic from St. Peter's Basilica Dome, piece of red marble flooring from the Reichschancellery in Berlin,religious relics such as those from Christ's Passion, such as the True Cross, St. Peter's first altar and even a relic from the Shroud of Turin.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Kasia likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Sure, I'd love it (just wait till I get out of this slump).

mikenoodle likes this.
  6. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

This is amazing!
    Wow.. what a fantastic piece of art..

7. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Nvb, I greatly admire Paul Stankard not only for his great accomplishments in the field of glass art but for what he overcame to reach those heights. He grew-up with dyslexia before it was recognized as we know it today, & his trouble learning to read was a great handicap in his early years. I was first exposed to his paperweights on a visit to the Corning Museum of Glass & was entranced at what I saw. The technical knowledge & artistic wizardry he accrued over decades is astonishing. Later I bought a copy of his autobiography "No Green Berries or Leaves, The Creative Journey of an Artist in Glass" & found it a fascinating read.
    [​IMG]

dlhill132, Nathan401 and Nvb like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

BEEKEEPING

upload_2019-1-20_7-6-9.png
    upload_2019-1-20_6-56-23.png
    This was one of our hives...

9. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Alegandron likes this.
  10. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Love it! Great looking haul Alegandron.

I had 12 hives at one time. Truly enjoyed working and watching them. The most honey I took off of one hive was over 100 lbs. It was by accident. I was going to move the hives and ended up leaving one, but stacked all the extra supers onto that one just to let the bees keep them clean. I wasn't able to come back all summer, and when I did, it was a chore to remove the top supers. The bees had filled every one. I had them stacked 6 foot tall.

I didn't like wearing all the bee keeping clothing, so ended up working them in shorts and tennis shoes. What most people don't know is that you can smell the bees when they get excited and you can just back off for awhile until they calm down.

Also, for those people that aren't allergic, most will build up an immunity to the sting. Not always true, but for most. It got where I would rather be stung by a bee than bite by a mosquito. The sting was brief, but the mosquito would itch for hours or days. The most stings I received at one time was when I had the brilliant idea to capture a swarm that was 20 feet up a tree. Got stung 21 times.

Theodosius, Gilbert and Alegandron like this.
  11. Alegandron

LOL, WOW on the 100lb Honey Haul! We got 65 lbs from one hive and it was a FIRST year harvest! Very surprised.

Fun hobby!

Theodosius and Nyatii like this.
  12. Nyatii

Great haul and surprise. All I can say is "Sweet"

Alegandron likes this.
  13. Alegandron

NyatiiI like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I like this saying. I had a sweatshirt "RUNS WITH SCISSORS."

Years ago, I was with a company that was the largest prooducers of scissors in the world...

Ancientnoob and Nyatii like this.
  14. Nyatii

That's impressive Alegandron!
    And, you did get to run with a lot of scissors.
    What was the brand?

Alegandron likes this.
  15. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

I play classical guitar terribly, but happily. Mostly for my own enjoyment and stimulation, but recently got into a duet arrangement with another guitarist. Much more challenging.

Nyatii and Alegandron like this.
  16. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Here in Quebec Canada, our favorite hobby is fighting winter just like today.....it all started with 2 feet of snow.....
    570B14B7-E63E-4C94-8293-D1AB053DDA67.jpeg
    Happily I have a friend who owns a big John Deere

4719FBED-76A3-447B-8882-CDA05915D580.jpeg

How am I going to feed the chicken ??

F238807B-EFDC-4A33-AE6B-37A880A84BFB.jpeg
    A bit of sport after breakfast with the family.....

And this afternoon a hot chocolate and a good numismatic book !!

midas1, Theodosius, randygeki and 5 others like this.
  17. Dooms

Dooms New Member

Civil war relics, though I have only a few.

18. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Alegandron likes this.
  19. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I collect un payed bills

21. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I have way too many hobbies. I've only been in coins since about 2005 when my pappy died and I got half of his collection. Anyway, I have my theater, if that is considered a hobby, my 6 dogs and a cat, reading Louis L'Amour books, and I love to build model airplanes that I like to make to replicate a real one and I have donated to libraries, a couple to museums, and a couple to Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, Camp Lejeune, and Cherry Point Naval Air Station. I build about 4 a year, leaving very little time for family.

Draft saved Draft deleted