Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A few of my pictures

005.JPG 13652990_1204153322952049_1384354016729647075_o.jpg 100_5050.JPG 005 (2).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I need to read up on cable management techniques now that I've installed all the equipment on my telescope. At least I've got them to where I won't be tripping on anything and nothing is going to get caught on anything, but I've got to find a way to make it look a little cleaner.

IMG_20181107_090119.jpg IMG_20181107_090006.jpg

And for those who didn't see the earlier images, my new solar telescope....

IMG_20181107_090207.jpg

and my double stack filter for the solar telescope. Doesn't look like much, but that little filter alone is nearly $500:eek::greedy:

IMG_20181107_090438.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Just curious, with all the astronomy buffs on this thread -- did anyone get out for the total solar eclipse last year? I saw it in Eastern Oregon.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  5. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

I no longer have my good photography gear, but I was an enthusiastic amateur photographer for a long time - here are a few samples:

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

midas1, spirityoda, Gilbert and 18 others like this.
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Saw it from Miami. It was a partial eclypse for us with only 75% totality, but still, seeing 75% of the sun in darkness was still a cool experience. When you're an astronomy buff it doesn't take a lot to be blown away and amazed by the cosmos.

7. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Hi again (had trouble logging in, an hour or two ago!) Not unduly talented, as many of you are. Am interested in studying History and Philosophy, both which relate to stories, and personalities of ancient, and more modern, past, and Coins. When I was a kid I collected stamps, which is very visual, and relates to Coins. A long time ago, I did (amateur) photography, some which was published. It's become too technical for me now. One aspect of History, I'm interested in, is about Kings Charles I and II, plus a guy called Cromwell !!! Worcester, not far from where I live, has some historical connections to them, and to the English Civil War !!!

8. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I saw it in Idaho. It was absolutely amazing. Like seeing the eye of God stare down at you from above. Make every effort to see one (a full eclipse) if you haven’t, folks.

9. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I can't believe this thread is still getting responded to, when I started it I expected maybe 5 responses.

Nyatii and Alegandron like this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Anyone who wears a crazy mask-helmet as an avatar MUST get a lot of responses! :)

Hope your bidness is doing well in Asheville (fun town).

11. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

That is my Monday through Friday business helmet, you should see my weekend helmet!

The business is keeping me busy, which was the goal, but it keeps me from having as much CoinTalk Forum time as I'd like.

lordmarcovan, Alegandron and Nyatii like this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Quite a few of us did. :)

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It was amazing. In a few years another one will be in Ohio. I hope to be able to see that one from Ohio.

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

In 2024 (iirc) there will be one (total) visible from NY, so perhaps the same will hold true for Ohio.

15. Collecting Nut

I think it's the same one. Too far for me to get excited at this point.

16. BooksB4Coins

Understood and agreed. I wasn't able to make it to a location where totality was visible last year and as great as the partial was, I'd really like to properly photograph a the next one... assuming I live so long.

For what it's worth it appears that in 2024 totality will be visible in the vast majority of Ohio, anywhere from 2/3 to 3/4 the state except the lower southeastern portion.

17. Collecting Nut

I hope that's the case. If so I can make the drive and see another great one. Best wishes for you to live long enough to see and photograph this one.

18. BooksB4Coins

Likewise, sir, and thank you. ;)

19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

We had like 95% here in Chicago. It was spectacular

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Latest Hobby is Grandson.......good Lord he's such a 'fellow'. Gonna groom him into a 'collector' of coins one day. :)

DSC_6358.JPG

lordmarcovan, midas1, Trish and 13 others like this.
  21. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

It was 100% in my front yard.

mikenoodle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted