Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Diane Harriet

Diane Harriet Active Member

If memory serves me correct it's a model 686. I like stainless steel.

Alegandron and alde like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alde

alde Always Learning

My 625-3 4" in 45 ACP is my most accurate revolver. The 625's are very sought after for thier accuracy.

Alegandron likes this.
  4. alde

alde Always Learning

Ah yes, great revolvers.

5. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great idea for a thread. Lets see;

I enjoy woodworking and building everything from architecture scale models to furniture. Here is a model I built a few years ago for an architectural competition. It's of a proposed library in the center of Rome.
    IMG_3809.JPG
    IMG_3808.JPG

I love traveling as well and enjoy taking photos or sketches of places I've visited and turning them into finished drawings when I get home.
    IMG_3812.JPG
    IMG_3813.JPG
    IMG_3811.JPG

I also enjoy learning about history of any kind. I perfer iTunes U to TV shows typically.

7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Very nice! Love the legos and the sketches. Although I have to say as a bridge engineer the first sketch makes me very sad :(

Are you a train enthusiast?

nicholasz219 and spirityoda like this.
  8. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I am very impressed. I'm 45 and have just started running. Hurt my Achilles tendon so I'm taking some time off, I'll probably be back at square one when I start up again.

9. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Curtisimo,
    Rome has been my all time favorite city since I first visited it about 25 years ago. Your model looks great. In real life I am a licensed architect, practicing for a bit over 35 years and must say that I rarely encounter someone who can create what you did.

My complements to your skill!

10. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Diane and Alde,
    I am a big fan of Smiths. My favorite is a circa 1985 model 586 with a 6 inch barrel that will create 3 inch groups at 50 yards if I'm paying attention.

kountryken and alde like this.
  11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thank you Hispanicus! I have always enjoyed working with my hands and have always loved architectural design and architectural history. I am a structural engineer now but I like to think I have the heart of a designer :). What type of architecture do you practice?

Rome is a truly amazing place. I have been there once and I'm planning to go again next year during my honeymoon! Very excited :). Anything you recommend as not to be missed aside from the usual sites?

kountryken and stevex6 like this.
  12. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Curtisimo,
    My primary focus is public school design, everything from adding one classroom to masterplanning a large school district for the next 15 years of design and construction. However, back in college I minored in architectural history, specifically renaissance and baroque architecture.

I've been to Rome a number of times and will PM you with some great lesser known places to visit.

A Roman honeymoon sounds like a great thing!

kountryken and Curtisimo like this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

My 93 year old father was an architect (sadly, he had to retire in his sixties due to blindness) ... but I have awesome memories from my youth of watching Dad draw in his study and also seeing Dad's physical models and large cardboard presentation drawings (they were amazingly cool ... as are your fantastic examples, Curtisimo ... very, very cool)

:rolleyes:

... coincidentally, I intended on going into architecture, but ended-up following my older brother's path into engineering (meh, if I could turn back time)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Deacon Ray, Curtisimo, Eduard and 2 others like this.
  14. Kees

Kees New Member

Stamps, metal detecting, writing books and publications (mainly about coins), making websites (mainly about coins), restoring my Brown Bess musket.

Kees

Curtisimo and Jwt708 like this.
  15. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

My daughter bought me a large Marilyn Monroe poster a few years ago and I recently decided to collect posters/photos of early sex symbols. Since I also love silent films and have more than 300 on DVD, I am buying items from that era. My latest acquisition:

Carmel Myers.jpg

Carmel Myers (1899-1980), a famous "vamp" (=vampire=sex symbol or femme fatale) of the silent era. This is an 11" X 14" lobby card for a film released in 1921. I love the broken heart below the title. Not sexy, perhaps, but it was 1921!

Harpo, midas1, chrsmat71 and 6 others like this.
  16. Diane Harriet

this is amazing. you are very talented.

Curtisimo likes this.
  17. Diane Harriet

Excellent. I go to the range with my cousin-in-law every other week. She's a retired federal officer and has helped me improve my accuracy. We love to play shooting games to improve that accuracy(battleship, etc). :)

18. Diane Harriet

okay, I have to ask....what do you have????:)

19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've shown my cars here so many times, I thought most CTers may be sick of seeing them. The only one I have left is my 1967 Mustang GT convertible, but I've rebuilt a 51 Chevy, 55 Dodge Royale, and three 67 Mustang convertibles.
    Mustang Pictures 009.jpg 67_conv.jpg Mustang Pictures 013.jpg

20. Diane Harriet

I appreciate you sharing as I am new to this site. very nice. I was my Dad's tomboy in the garage. I recently sold his 1929 Franklin four door sedan to a family friend. My first purchase was a 1947 Oldsmobile(series 76 Deluxe, 19K original miles). I got ticked off when I got vapor locked once and sold it about 10 years ago. Currently, we have a 1977 Thunderbird(22K original miles). ---I'm going to do my best to attach a couple of photos, this is my first try so let's hope it works.
    Di

Attached Files:

21. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice cars. I'm going to sell my Mustang sometime in the near future and look to buying something else to rebuild. I have my sights trained on a 29 Chevy Coupe. I'm just not sure I have it in me to do another.

kountryken and Diane Harriet like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted