Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..best way not to go broke...:D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

That pig doesn't look like a (wild) boar to me.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

One of my favorites:

Browning Bar II Safari 30-06
    upload_2018-6-23_10-25-42.png

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    randygeki, NLL, alde and 3 others like this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Guys, ya need to keep the political aspects out of the conversations. I have removed those that were. So please, let's keep it that way.

6. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

GDJMSP, Moderator. Allow me to disagree with your view. By removing "political aspects" out of the conversation, but retaining a very powerful political statement, the Browning Bar II Safari 30-06 Rifle, you are not dealing with this matter impartially. As an ordinary member, I have to accept a Moderator's point of view, but I can only do so reluctantly, and whilst disagreeing with your decision.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

@GDJMSP did the right thing here. The question on this thread is what else a person might collect, not why. You and I decided to add voice to the "why" based on our personal feelings.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

But that's just it, showing a picture of that gun, or any gun, is not a political statement. It is only by discussing ones opinions of it in a political way that makes it political.

And while you are allowed to disagree and not like the rules, they are what they are and they shall stay that way whether you like them or not.

Bud1 Wilson, Nathan401 and Orfew like this.
  9. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Moderator, I object to @Alegandron 's gun on the grounds that it is too cool and I'm jealous I don't have one.

Here are my range toys...

IMG_20180623_210637~2.jpg

And to "make it legal", I did discover that coins display nicely with guns. Now you can't say this is not coin related. Here's my Philip I tetradrachm that @Cucumbor gifted me a year and a half ago...

IMG_20180623_210737.jpg

And here is the reverse along with a loaded magazine for my 9mm pistol.

IMG_20180623_210823.jpg

And just so I can't be accused of making a gun promotion post by killjoys, here's another fossil. This one is a rare Trilobite species, one of the earliest species of Trilobites known, and it was a species which lived in the depths and was blind....that's right, a Trilobite without any eyes. This is my second Trilobite fossil ever. The spines on the fossil, the coloration, and the fact that this is one of the earlier Trilobite species, dating back to the middle Cambrian period, makes this a cool fossil to own. The coloration is natural and due to oxydation of iron pyrite.

63105-24.jpg
    63105-23.jpg
    SPECIES: Hamatolenus Vincenti
    FORMATION: Jbel Wawrmast Formation
    SIZE: 1.5" long (not including spines)

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

@Sallent Love the trilobite. Since I live in PA and that's the state fossil, well you know. I don't have one like that but I do have a non polished, right out of the earth and dust it off trilobite about 5" high and 4" across. I need one of those to go with my trilobites.

Sallent likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, yeah, I collect firearms too. Have several Glocks as my handgun of choice, but I also love Rugers (357 Mag and the below little gem. )

upload_2018-6-23_21-15-10.png
    Ruger Super RedHawk 44Mag... added Hogue Grip, nice little sight. Plan to hunt wild pigs sometime...

upload_2018-6-23_21-17-41.png
    Saiga, Ishmash Factory AK47, that I further tricked out with rails, sights, other accoutrements, etc. This a gem to shoot. My Army Son-in-Law had never shot an AK (I was surprised!), and he was ga-ga over it when we shot at a range at Ft Benjamin Harrison. I shoot better with the front grip folded flat.

randygeki, Nyatii, Nathan401 and 7 others like this.
  12. Sallent

Another fine selection @Alegandron . I don't really collect firearms, but I do have two .22lrs besides my main rifle and 9mm pistol. I use these .22lr for plink shooting, which is a blast.

I'm sure you'd recognize them easily. One is the versatile Ruger 10/22, and the other is a Ruger MK III.

IMG_20180623_223354.jpg

And @Collecting Nut , I've enjoyed seeing your collection, and sharing my collection of fossils with a fellow enthusiast has been quite the treat for me. Here is my Scutellum Trilobite, which dates to the Devonian Era. This was my first Trilobite ever...not bad for a first, right?

IMG_20180623_222743.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not 100% sure I'm following what you're trying to say, but I did visit a small bog in the mountains of southwest Virginia while I was a college student. The folks who know how to find it keep rather quiet, because they don't want people disturbing it by trampling through it, but the topo map for that area does show it.

Bogs are cool.

ValpoBeginner likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

@Sallent-Thank you. I too have enjoyed seeing a portion of your fine collection. You have truly wonderful fossils and your first trilobite is fantastic. It has been a pleasure sharing some of our collections.

Here's another group: A white starfish, a crystal geode from Morocco and 2 Orthoceras, both from Morocco. The black is from the Atlas Mts. and the brown is near the desert. I wish I could find one of my Hemitite Moroccan geodes. I'll look for it. They're really different. IMG_2697.JPG
    Not sure you can see the detail but I got the best photo I could. The one side (obverse?) is hard enough to see but the reverse is very faint but present to the naked eye when in hand. Maybe you know this one. It's a Nummulite for a mini Fera from the Egypt pyramids. Some sort of a marine fossil.
    Obverse first: IMG_2698.JPG IMG_2699.JPG
    Like I said the reverse is difficult but you can see a little bit.

15. Bud1 Wilson

Bud1 Wilson Well-Known Member

Nice Browning...Browning makes fine weapons...I have 3 Brownings', 45-70, 223 and 12 ga.
    I believe the muzzle break on your rifle makes it illegal in New York State.
    While I was working for the Department I witnessed many a fine weapon go into the furnace and come out the other end a mess of twisted metal...sad.

Nathan401 and Alegandron like this.
  16. Bud1 Wilson

You sir, have a wide range of collections...real nice...thanks for sharing.

Sallent likes this.
  17. Bud1 Wilson

Alegandron likes this.
  18. Bud1 Wilson

Your 44 Mag will get the job done, I have one in a Smith and it is one powerful handgun. I also have Rugers, Colts, Springfields a few other makes but my Rugers are some of my favorites...I carry a Springfield 45 acp under my HR-218 Federal carry permit it also is a powerful handgun but small enough to carry without being obvious.....enjoy your hobby it is fun when done with safety in mind. Thanks for sharing.

Nyatii and Alegandron like this.
  19. Sallent

Very nice. I don't have any nummulites, namely because they are much younger than the fossils I'm collecting at the moment. I'm finishing pre-triassic invertebrates now, and will soon be shifting focus to vertebrate animals through the Cretaceous period, and eventually one day move into modern animals (65,000,000 BCE through present). In other words, I'm working my way through from primitive lifeforms to the present, one step at a time.

@Collecting Nut , your crinoid collection did inspire me to buy another crinoid. You are going to love this, just got it this weekend.

www.FossilEra.com-specimen-254-68751-10.jpg www.FossilEra.com-specimen-254-68751-9.jpg
    SPECIES: Scytalocrinus sp.
    FORMATION: Edwardsville Formation
    SIZE: 4" long on 5.3x3.6" limestone

Sweet, 350,000,000 BCE and it looks like it just died yesterday. Compared to my other crinoid fossil, the 3D detail on this one blows it away. Not that I don't love my Cambrian crinoid, because I sure still do...especially when you consider that it is a much rarer species which is almost nearly impossible to buy these days in the marketplace due to the quarry where it was mined in 1976 being shut to the public for various decades, and the fact that it is 155 million years older than the one I just purchased. I even know who discovered it in 1976 (and the month and day of the discovery), so that kind of provenance is worth more to me, and I'm sure it will too to whichever custodian purchases it from my estate after I'm dead.

XICY707b.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  20. Collecting Nut

@Sallent What a beautiful fossil!! After I got over the initial shock of how wonderful it is and the great condition, I looked at it and thought how much it resembles the human hand. That made me Think about the member that wanted a human bone collection earlier in this thread. He should collect fossils like these and use a little imagination to fill his dream. His wife can't argue about it as it's not human. Glad you were able to add this beauty to your collection!

21. Sallent

If you like cephalopods, and I'm sure you do based on your collection of invertebrates, I'm reading at present a pretty interesting book on cephalopod evolution. Although I'm only about 25% through the book, so far it shows great promise...

51bNcruL4UL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

However, I'm also looking for a good book on Cambrian and early invertebrate evolution. I'll let you know if I find a good one. Sadly not a lot of books out there, and most seem to be expensive texts, but Ill keep searching and hopefully something will turn up soon. Compare that to dinosaurs, hundreds of books that basically repeat each other over and over. But try to find anything on mammal evolution or the evolution of pre-dinosaur reptilian groups, or invertebrate life, and all you hear is crickets. I shouldn't be surprised, as the general public simply knows about dinosaurs and nothing else thanks to movies like Jurassic Park.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted