Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Nice collection of MB's. I do not see any Burgandy pens. I do not collect them but this summer I went to a neighbors yard sale just out of curiosity and found a set of 2 burgandy pens. I ask the man what he wanted for them and he replied a "buck apiece seems fair" (here is the good part going with an earlier CT post concerning $2.00 bills) I paid him with a new $2.00 bill, he just laughed and said he had not seen one of those in years. He got the bill I got the pens.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Gilbert and DonnaML like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Here’s my two newest fossils.
    5376A72D-2D57-436F-AD29-FCF4EFEC39C4.jpeg 4BD42742-4AE3-41CA-BE67-99530FD8680D.jpeg

4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Beautiful crinoids. What's the first one?

PassthePuck likes this.
  5. Etcherman

Etcherman Well-Known Member

PassthePuck and COOPER12 like this.
  6. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

Very nice ! is the first one a kind of crocodile?
    I sometimes think of the bizarre being, much evolved from bats or octopuses in one or two hundred million years, who will display my fossilized skull on his chimney. Maybe he/she/it would like to make a lamp of it?

Collecting Nut and DonnaML like this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

skull lamp.jpg ...what a bright idea :D

8. Collecting Nut

A partial jaw bone from a Mosasaur

+VGO.DVCKS and Kasia like this.
  9. Collecting Nut

No, but this is my crocodile fossil.
    61A273E6-A278-4EA8-96B4-D5E5AE011C43.jpeg AC0C4CAD-8A21-4A3B-AE01-E6A326DB4370.jpeg 53145DDD-DD24-462B-8925-63F39DB0F067.jpeg

10. Collecting Nut

The Moursaur is 7” long, the Crinoid is 10” and the crocodile is 16”. Here is a Trilobite and it’s 9” long and 6” wide. I’ve had him for years. Same with the Crocodile.
    F3DABCA1-C24D-4A84-97E0-9A54B6DE9A3F.jpeg

11. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but the Mosasaur jaws look like the typical fakes from Morocco that are for sale everywhere. The teeth may be genuine, but they make the "jaw bone" and "matrix" in a shop. I hope you either didn't pay a lot, or it was marketed as a composite and not a genuine fossil.

12. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I concur as well. Case in point, @Collecting Nut here's an authentic example from a reputable fossil dealer.

[​IMG]

13. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow, that was the deal of the century! As for my MBs I have added another 20 or so since that post. I commissioned a nice pen stand from spalted maple. It turned out great. It holds 10 MBs at a time.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  14. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Classic. All seasons on Amazon prime now.

15. KevinM

KevinM Well-Known Member

builds 001.JPG builds 002.JPG builds 004.JPG A follow up to the piece I was building on page 104.I am not fond of stains I like the look of wood to come through in it natural state.I am going to make another about the same dimensions tapered legs/inlays.

16. Theborer

Theborer Well-Known Member

17. Collecting Nut

18. Hrefn

Hrefn Well-Known Member

In the late 1800’s and early 1900’s Scandinavian silversmiths drew on earlier styles and motifs to create archaic-appearing silver pieces. Some of these were baptismal or christening gifts. Others are more inspired by Viking age mythology. I collect these for fun. upload_2022-2-1_19-7-17.jpeg

19. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

20. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

21. Collecting Nut

LOL, no but you would be amazed at what their eyes can do. The longest one ever found was in Africa, was over 40 feet long and weighed more than an elephant. Here’s what you are seeing. The eyes are easy to spot but those two other things that look like eye sockets are located in front of the actual eyes.
    62A8BA75-9231-4634-A2E3-8E967A449A46.jpeg
    Oh, but they do have three eyelids.

Draft saved Draft deleted