Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I’m still checking in from time to time—not frequently but that may change soon.

Here’s one of my alternate collections of historic Japanese exonumia.
    J1b.jpg
    J2.jpg
    J3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Do the Japanese really call their decade-long invasion of China and Manchuria "Incidents," or is that a translation issue?

PeteB, midas1, ominus1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I hear you—incident sounds rather minimal considering the actual history—but yes those are the English translations.

5. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2021
  6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

edited

7. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

edited

8. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

9. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

A couple recent acquisitions...

16th/17th Ming Dynasty figure, and a late-Ming/early-Qing Dynasty (17th/18th C.) tiny (3 x 2-1/2 in. weighs: 1+ lbs. :wideyed:) incense burner. Both were unresearched and/or misidentified by the former owner(s) and I was able to obtain them for a song.:D The gilt-speckled burner is my favorite and SUPER rare to still have the relationship with its original cover after all these years. It's tiny (2-3/4 in.) cousin is linked below...

Link: https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-6306409

IMG_0750-001.jpg IMG_0751-001.jpg IMG_1253-001.jpg

10. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

11. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Very unique pipe! Thanks for posting

JoIke likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, No no no no no no nooooo. The carver AND the smoker needs to rethink their lives...

spirityoda, Numisnewbiest and JoIke like this.
  13. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

LOL! What's great is that I found a near perfect fit piece of bamboo to fit right where it needed to be just as it is in the second link I posted just above.

It's a great little piece and IMO, much more finely carved than those other 2 examples found within that museum's collection.

Alegandron and midas1 like this.
  14. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

So cool...always been interested but never followed up with it, with a nice scope, etc. Congrats on some nice photos.

15. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

16. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

17. PassthePuck

Thank you very much. I live just across the street from the McDowell Mountain Ranch Trailhead Preserve located in Scottsdale, Arizona. This is where I take the majority of my photos. It's easy to walk across the street, into the desert, with a stool, camera, and a beer in hand. Thanks again for the kind words. You can check out my other work by doing a search in your favorite browser.

midas1 and capthank like this.
  18. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Is was thinking possibly Arizona. Many years ago, my son and I were driving on a road along the northern side of the AZ/Mexican border it was a pitch black night w/ thousands of stars in the sky. We stopped the truck and got out to stargaze. It was truly an amazing sight. Within minutes a Border Patrol vehicle appeared, checked our ID, checked the truck, stargazed w/ us for a few minutes then got a call and took off.
    Will check out your other photos.

PassthePuck likes this.
  19. PassthePuck

Yeah, if you stop down there, they think you're a coyote. FYI a coyote is one that waits to pick up illegals and then ferry's them into other parts of the country. Use to be a huge fine for that, but not anymore. We have more illegals in this city than citizens. But that's another story for a later date!

capthank and midas1 like this.
  20. KevinM

KevinM Well-Known Member

I read a book some years back "The Rising Sun" quite interesting read though it did get a bit repetitive towards the end on the battles that occurred.The culture of Japan was so unique back then and still is in many ways.My father was a radio operator on a B-17 when the War broke went to the ETO,I built alot of models of the ETO but of late in the last few years the PTO has had some interest for me esp. the ships the Japanese ships have some nice lines.My son now serves in the 35FW in Miasawa NW part of Japan.I have yet to add a good representation of a Japanese rifle to my collection keep looking got to have the Mum. ;)

Deacon Ray and midas1 like this.
  21. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

I'm on a roll this year! My most recent acquisition is yet another, misidentified and/or unresearched piece by its former owner. Again, obtain for a peep(not a song) and appears to be an unrecorded Ming Dynasty example. This thing is stunning!!! Its actually inlaid with gold, not just gilded. It falls in one of my top 10 finds,.......................most probably equal to one of you all finding or obtaining one of your top 10 ancient coins. She's small (3 inches) and weighs nearly 1 lbs.

An actual MING similar comp was sold at Bonhams some years back (please see link just below).

Link: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20365/lot/535/?category=list

And 2 other later (19th/early-20th Century NOT Ming as these auction houses described) examples are linked below...

Link: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/81083782_a-bronze-qilin-scroll-weight-ming

Link:
    https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-bronze-figure-of-a-qilin-ming-dynastythe-19388-c-e8d8e5edf7

IMG_1428-001.jpg IMG_1429-001.jpg IMG_1430-001.jpg IMG_1431-001.jpg IMG_1432-001.jpg IMG_1433-001.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted