Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Just a fair warning to anyone crazy enough to even think about raiding my garden.

My yard is protected by this vicious creature at all times of the year.

100_5743.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Interesting posts, clembo. I am a big fan of 'recycling' things that found trash piles only a temporary home. I started to suspect you do not collect ancients when you said that there was a relationship between pawn shops and coins dealers since I have never seen an ancient coin in a pawn shop that was worth owning that was not priced 5-10 times the regular coin market. The tendency of amateurs in the business is to figure anything 2000 years old must be rare and expensive even if it looks like it was 2000 years old (or was in fact a fake closer to 20 years old). That got me wondering if you knew that you were posting in the Ancient section of CT but I am glad you did.

ominus1 and svessien like this.
  4. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Actually I did notice that I was posting in ancients but liked the thread.

As a rule I avoid pawn shops. Just a chance meeting with these guys and only a block from my house. I basically told them if they had questions about U.S. coins or paper money that I might be of help.

Before ending up on disability I worked in a legit coin shop for about 10 years. The owner has had a shop since 1966 and he still calls me on occasion about U.S. paper money or errors.

We had one customer who knew ancients very well. We consulted with him any time we ran across them.
    I own a few just because I thought they were cool and not overpriced. Better than "rare" widows mites though.;)

As for gardening and dumpster diving I obviously can still get things done. It just takes a lot longer and I have to rest a lot.

Still enjoy it though!

dougsmit and DonnaML like this.
  5. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

I used to collect piggy banks with advertising. Usually they were made of Bakelite and had bank names on them. Sold them to buy more coins.

6. skm

skm Member

I enjoy reading and collecting miniture fire trucks 1:64. I also have a small currency collection (star notes, silver certificates, Hawaii and North African Notes). Some items from the Bureau of Engraving.

DonnaML likes this.
  7. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

I love buying/re-selling/collecting "smalls", especially unusual pieces such as the glass and metals below. The largest piece (skull) is approx 2-3/4 inches and weighs nearly 1 lbs. Unfortunately, I've only been able to ID 1 of the 4 pieces. Any thoughts on who the figure in the profile bust might be?

IMG_9694-001.jpg
    IMG_9578-001.jpg
    IMG_9587-001.jpg
    bdkjhgdkj01-001.jpg
    IMG_9697-001.jpg

8. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

All of the above pieces I believe to be 18th C. or older.

The mask is bronze and appears to be some form of applique or pendant. The skull IMHO is the most interesting of the lot. It's made of the most unusual metal that I've not been able to ID. I believe it's a Memento Mori, made of the most unusual silver-ish metal that has tarnished, but yet magnetic. 1/3 of it appears to have been mended some time ago using organic material (possibly amber). Although the skull has tarnished a brown-ish type color, the "veining" remains silver-ish with traces of gilt. Weird! Meteorite(?)

IMG_9443-001.jpg
    IMG_9444-001.jpg

IMG_9445-001.jpg

IMG_9447-001.jpg

IMG_9679-001.jpg

IMG_9681-001.jpg

IMG_9682-001.jpg

IMG_9684-001.jpg

IMG_9686-001.jpg

IMG_9688-001.jpg

9. differential

differential Active Member

Hmmm...my first post! So many great hobbies here--might try some.

I'm an old guy, recently retired. I have fished all my life, probably tens of thousands of casts. After all these years I caught a "trophy" fish two years ago: a 24 inch, five pound brown trout. If it were a coin it would be MS 68, a beaut. I gave it to a family who needed food and they really appreciated it.

Bike riding has always been a passion. maybe I collect bikes--I have a race bike, mountain bike, Walmart fat bike, Brompton tiny bike, hybrid bike, and a 1960s 70 pound Schwinn tandem. (Sorry, have to figure out how to post pictures.)

Thanks to the person who posted his shoe collection. I suspect I am a collector of Allen Edmond shoes, made before 2014. I have three pairs of boots, including cordovan. A couple pair of tan comfort shoes. And a couple pair of "Leeds," a dress shoe. All of these shoes have been resoled, many times. They are made very well.

Sadly, I am discovering that as a retired guy there are days when I start to collect unhappiness! The best therapy for this, I have found, is to work on my modest collection or do reading that helps understand history and numismatics. It's also amazing how calming roll-collecting (and re-rolling) can be.

Best to all. I've read many great posts here before deciding to join. Thanks for all this great info!

10. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

My other hobby that I got to do this last weekend. Need to get @Ryro and @Alegandron to come join me. 20210424_201146 (3).jpg

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Ryro likes this.
  12. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I do, when the opportunity presents itself, like to acquire exceedingly rare literary works by very obscure authors of the early 20th century. These works are so rare, that only a handful of their works are held by universities and libraries. They are so rare that they hardly come up for sale, either privately or through auction. These works are so rare that only a handful of people know of their existence. Even some of their owners, after a while owning these most singular works, can't remember that they actually ever existed! Give their rarity, both in form and in content, these works of literary height are priceless!

I was fortunate to acquire one of these works a few years ago. This small, pocket-size edition is titled Spring Poems - The Four Swallows. The book itself is a thing of beauty - red leather binding and elegant gliding on the edges. The author of this, superlative, monumental work of poetry is so obscure, that, alas, his or her name does not appear on the cover!

D-Camera Four Swallows 1  c.1924.jpg

D-Camera Four Swallows 2  c.1924.jpg

But, as with many things in life, what one sees initially in not necessarily what it actually is, for with the press of the thumb on a slight depression on the spine, something happens...

D-Camera Four Swallows 3  c.1924.jpg

So much for poetic content, for here is the actual contents of this masterpiece.

D-Camera Four Swallows 4  c.1924.jpg

For, in reality this work, whose pun should be obvious, is actually a holder for Demon Alcohol, used by Flappers and other individuals of dubious moral character back in the mid-1920s, at the height of Prohibition. I estimate that this "book" was made around 1921-1924.

[​IMG]
    Image courtesy of the New York Times

[​IMG]
    Image courtesy of gettyimages

Actually, these surreptitious devices were as popular among the public as Prohibition was unpopular. Also, they do come up for sale from time to time, but it is somewhat unusual to find an example with all four glass "flasks" intact.

Here's a photo of the bottom. This flask holder was made by R Y Novelties of Brooklyn, New York. The patent date is February 22, 1921. There's also a small hole, which I assume is there to drain any booze that accumulated on the bottom of this "book".

D-Camera Four Swallows 5  c.1924.jpg
    But, please, do not waste your time trying to locate this work in the poetry section of your local library. Instead, enjoy your favorite libation. Bottoms up!

An addendum:

I forgot to include a photo of the spine.

D-Camera Four Swallows 6  c.1924.jpg

The slight depression at the top activates, when pressed, a spring which releases the top. Given the age, almost 100 years old, it is still quite stout.

On the top, "Memories of the Past", then "J.B. Corn". At the bottom "Vol. II".

Here's an interesting description of a similar "book" sold on another website:

"This is a unique, rare Prohibition-era flask disguised as a small book bank. 5 1/4 X 3 1/2 X 1 inch in size. The book bank is steel, covered with canvas, stained, and lacquered to resemble leather. The sides are brushed brass to make it appear like a book. On the spine is written " Memories of the Past J.B. Corn," referring to corn whiskey prominent during the Prohibition. The title on the front is "Spring Poems The Four Swallows", referring to four swallows, one each from the four small vial flasks inside. There is a spring-loaded hidden button at the top of the spine that releases a catch, enabling one to open the book from the top to expose the four glass flasks. The bottom has the name of the maker: "John Nutry, 85 Adams St., Brooklyn" along with his nut-shaped hallmark with "RY Brooklyn NY". Underneath is stamped "Pat. No. 1359128 Feb. 22, 1921 Others Pending". Nutry was known for making little book-shaped banks."

My example does have John Nutry, 85 Adams St., Brooklyn on the bottom, but it seems to be mostly worn off.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  13. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Possibly the coolest non ancient item I've seen herein! Call me peanut butter and jelly:D

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That is pretty friggin cool!

Congrats.

spirityoda and robinjojo like this.
  15. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

I am interested in genealogy, Elizabeth of Rhuddlan (edward I's daughter) is my 29th great grandmother so all the kings/queens before Edward I are related too if they are legitimate.

Took quite some time to go back that far making sure every ancestor actually linked up.

kountryken, +VGO.DVCKS and robinjojo like this.
  16. Alegandron

LOL! Big fun! Fantastic.

I am thinkin it would hold cigars too!

+VGO.DVCKS, robinjojo and spirityoda like this.
  17. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

18. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Hiking.
    These beautiful June days, my focus is on the world outside my coin collection:)

D8FED261-6E70-4261-8CB1-04EF0040CCE5.jpeg

19. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

Aside from Aviation (already somewhere in this thread) I also collect, not ancients, but silver Piedforts. Here, United Kingdom definitive coin types in Piedfort double thickness silver proofs with five bust types
    Pie.jpg

But fun with ancients means i HANDLE my silver proofs. Lotta fun. As far as I'm concerned, the moment purchased they are now worth melt less 10%. Fingers all over them. Stack them up. Roll them.
    Pie2.jpg

Really don't care what anyone else thinks about handling modern silver proofs. They are not rare, I own them etc.

Piedforts roll well. Here's a Mexican 50 Pesos One Kilogram rolling on my kitchen floor (sound ON)

https://twitter.com/andrewahala/status/1369658899075395587?s=20

As the video says, "Thank you for all your money. We really appreciate it. It's going to a very useful cause. The "Help Dré get a Brand New Testarossa Ferrari Fund"

20. Alegandron

LOL. I really enjoy your post, @Andrew McCabe . Agreed.

21. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

And the new anti slabbing debate begins …. o_O:wacky:

- Broucheion

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted