Asiaticus the last Seleucid king

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David@PCC, Jul 15, 2021.

1. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Haven't purchased many coins this year, actually buying is a fraction of last years. This type has eluded me for years and on average I may see one every year or two offered for sale. Asiaticus is the nickname for Antiochus XIII, which means the one from Asia Minor. He is the last king from the Seleucid dynasty that began 250 years before. His formal epitaph is Philadelphus or brother loving. History fails to record who this person actually is, but he is assumed to have been with his older brother when traveling to Rome as an emissary. These events were taking place while Tigranes II occupied the Seleucid territory. His mother Cleopatra Selene is believed to have sent her two 2 sons to Rome so that they would be recognized as kings of Syria once more as well as Egypt. They were denied the claim to Egypt.
    In 69 BC Tigranes was expelled and Antiochus regained control of Antioch. Not long after a revolt broke out to give power to Philip II, but was quelled. Antiochus years of reign are therefore recorded as 69 to 67 BC and 65/64 BC because of this. Pompey came to Antioch in 64 BC and refused Antiochus the throne further. He was disposed and what was left of the Seleucid kingdom became a Roman province.

g352.jpg
    Antiochus XIII Philadelphus
    Antioch on the Orontes
    69 to 64 BC
    AR Tetradrachm
    Obvs: Diademed head of Antiochus right with hornlike lock curling upward above ear, fillet border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOV on right, ΦIΛAΔEΛΦOV on left. Zeus enthroned left holding Nike and sceptre, laurel wreath border. Monogram inner left.
    24x26mm, 13.93g
    Ref: SC 2487a; HGC 9, 1340(R1-R2)

The coin is quite worn, but I am happy with it as these are hard to come by. He only struck Tetradrachms at Antioch. He is also featured on bronze coins with his mother Cleopatra, but good luck finding one of those. The scarcity comes from his short reign and that only 2 obverse dies are known. Mine shares a double die match to one in the Bibliothèque nationale de France, which further attest to their scarcity. This makes my 14th Antiochus, I am still in need of one to get all 15 kings named Antiochus. This one being the 13th variant, I say that because I have been watching the Loki series.

loki_teaser_poster.jpg

Please share any of your coins of any Antiochus.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

kool coin....250 years eh?!...no wonder i'm having trouble getting them all..:p.. IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0461.JPG .Antiochus l Soter and ll Theos. Helmeted Athena bust right and Dioscuri twins hats with club reverse, 21mm,8.08gms. Theos has Apollo obverse with cithara reverse, 11mm 2.12gms

5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

David, Congrats on scoring this rarity :happy:! You would probably have difficulty trying to convince collectors about the attribution without finding a double die match since the coin is heavily worn ;). Persistent research paid-off with this coin :D. Pictured below is my last Tet of a Seleukid king.

Antiochos VIII, c. 109-96 BC, Tet., 16.24 gm.jpg
    Antiochos VIII Epiphanes (Grypos), 3rd Reign, circa 109-96 BC. Antioch on the Orontes Mint. Reverse: Zeus Nikephoros enthroned. SC 2309.1c; HGC 9, 1200. Ex Numismatic Fine Arts XVII, Lot 439, June 27, 1986.

6. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Well yes. In fact there were 33 rulers that minted coins and that doesn't include Philip II, if in fact any can be attributed to him.

+VGO.DVCKS, philologus_1 and ominus1 like this.
  7. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great addition!

ED728A91-3004-47A7-823A-B37FFA9CDCC5.jpeg
    Seleucid Kings of Syria, Antiochos IV Epiphanes, AE Hemidrachm (33 mm, 34.37 g), "Egyptianizing" series, with bevelled edges, struck in honor of Antiochos IV's victories over Egypt, Antioch, 169-168 BC. Laureate head of Zeus-Serapis to right; with Osiris cap upon taenia. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ ΘΕΟΥ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΣ Eagle standing right on thunderbolt.

8. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

It's easy to identify these from the portrait as well as the inscription, both are unique to Asiaticus. Being a die match is a bonus. Also that is one of the nicest Epiphanes I have seen, and from NFA no less!

9. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Congratulations David, one step closer in obtaining all the Seleukid rulers and usurpers. Antiochos XII will be a challenge indeed, so will Molon and Cleopatra Selene if you count her as a ruler.

For such a rare coin and ruler, a tetradrachm in that condition is more than sufficient.

Not sure what to share, perhaps a tetradrachm of the father of the competitor of Antiochos XIII?
    [​IMG]
    Philip I Philadelphos (circa 95/4-76/5 B.C.) AR Tetradrachm. Uncertain mint in Cilicia (Tarsos?), lifetime issue, circa 94/3-88/7 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of Philip I to right.
    Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ / ΦIΛIΠΠΟΥ - EΠIΦΑΝΟΥΣ / ΦIΛAΔEΛΦΟΥ. Zeus seated left, holding Nike in his right hand and long scepter in his left; to outer left and below throne, monograms; to inner left, M; all within laurel wreath.
    Reference: SC 2460c
    15.81g; 27mm

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Informative and interesting write up, David!

Here's one that hasn't been posted yet.

[​IMG]
    Cleopatra Thea, Queen of Syria, with son Antiochus VIII.
    AR tetradrachm; 15.85 gm, 27 mm.
    Antioch mint, 125-121 BC.
    Obv: Jugate busts, right.
    Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΗΣ ΚΛΕΟΠΑΤΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ, Zeus Nikephoros seated l., holding lotus-tipped scepter; IE outer left, A under throne.
    Refs: SNG Spaer 2437; c.f. Sear 7135.
    Notes: Ex-Henry Clay Lindgren.

11. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Of those I should be able to obtain A11, but the last two may take a very very long time unless a hoard is found.

12. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Nice coin and write-up, David.

Here's a predecessor who was near the end of the line, Antiochus XII. He was killed in his second campaign against the Nabateans at the Battle of Cana in 82 BC.
    The Syrian throne was claimed by Antiochus X's widow Cleopatra Selene and her son Antiochus XIII sometime before or after the Nabatean King Aretas III ruled there following the death of Antiochus XII.

upload_2021-7-18_18-40-3.png

Seleucid Kingdom. Antiochus XII Dionysos (87-82 BC). AE (21 mm, 6.85 g, 12h). Damascus mint, 85/4-84/3 BC.
    Diademed and draped bust right. / Zeus Nikephoros standing left; monogram in exergue.
    SC 2481; HGC 9, 1329; Sofaer 61

Draft saved Draft deleted