Asia Minor Tessera

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, May 26, 2021.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Adding new stuff to my collection has been VERY slow going this year. But I am OK with it.

Few auctions ago, @John Anthony had this in an auction & since no one else bit at it, I decided to since I owned no Tessera of any sort.

Post any Tessera you may have.

tess.jpg
    Asia Minor, (3rd Century A.D.)
    Pb Tessera
    O: Draped female bust to right.
    R: Blank
    15.4g
    20mm

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Don't have one but there was a very large collection of those auctioned off in the recent Leu auction.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice, @Mat . I only have one Tessera myself.

upload_2021-5-27_10-3-1.png

Rome.
    Lead tessera c. 1st cent. AD
    Fortuna standing left, resting rudder on ground with right hand, holding cornucopia in left
    Large DP
    Rostovtsev 2307; Ruggerio 808-9; 13mm, 1.39 g, 12h; good VF
    Ex Tom Vossen collection of Roman lead objects.
    Ex: Gert Boersema Ancient Coins (NL)

Attached Files:

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A neat one, Brian.

I also got mine because of how heavy it was. I am used to seeing types like yours where they tend to be denarii weight or less.

galba68 and Alegandron like this.
  6. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Congrats on your tessera, @Mat.

And, what a coincidence. I just got my first tessera, from the Leu auction mentioned. So, I have nothing in hand yet, just this pic from Leu.
    And if you like big and heavy ones, better look away, because mine is a featherweight.:D

elephant tessera.jpg

ASIA MINOR. Uncertain. 2nd-3rd centuries. Tessera (Lead, 10 mm, 1.52 g). Elephant emerging from shell to right; below, grain ear. Rev. Blank. Gülbay & Kireç 40a ("hermit crab"). Naumann 57, 418-419 (same). Very fine.

According to Leu:
    'The motif of large animals like elephants, lions and horses emerging from a shell was popular in Roman gem engraving. For designs of elephants emerging from a shell, similar to the imagery on our tessera, see Furtwängler XLVI, 35, AG Wien 2130 and Dembski, Carnuntum 1104'.

I couldn't find any of the references online, but I did find this.

Admittedly a more beautiful example than mine, but then again, mine was probably a lot cheaper...:) intaglio, elephant, shell and impression. Met 5th Av..png

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Even though it's a "featherweight", it's still pretty cool. I admit to never have seen an elephant coming out of a shell, even from kids drawing. Who knew.:eek::rolleyes:o_O

Ignoramus Maximus likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you. I got it like you did. I did not have one, and thought it was cool and different from the rest.

9. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Pretty weird design, yes That's what attracted me to it.
    And I liked the idea of having at least one tessera in my collection.

It's fun to speculate what it might have been used for.:)
    Though frankly, in this case, I haven't got a clue...

Draft saved Draft deleted