ASEs -Confusion 2020

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dialupsux, Jan 17, 2021.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I suppose so, and far be it from me to tell folks what it is to collect. I picked up more 'dateless' 'buffs' when I was a kid, and even though they may be identified using forensic techniques, I don't consider them worthy in my collection. My humble opine.........

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

Nobody ever answered my question?

4. 2x2 $averKrazy

Did I miss somthing

5. 2x2 $averKrazy

Didn't they even call those ASE,s emergency relief issue,s and is a set complete without them?

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

A set is complete when you (the collector) deem it complete. You're the captain of your ship........

7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

So Ahab, get your own Pequod and chase after your own White Whale!

Yours truly,
    Ishmael

green18 likes this.
  8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

My "opinion" on this subject, there is absolutely a strike difference between San Francisco or West Point minted Bullion coins vs Philadelphia or Denver---(1986.1987)

San Fran and WP have vertical presses, Philly and Denver have horizontal, and visually the strikes would be the same with fresh dies, but the differences are inconsequential (to me) for the first hundred or so strikes on a die pair.

My opinion bullion is bullion, however, the strong strikes I believe are done at SanFran, while weaker strikes are done at Philadelphia.

Looking at silver eagles and wanting strong clean strikes for myself, My personal opinion is the best ones are from San Francisco, and the ones I believe to be from Philly are just weaker in details, but I think it doesn't matter much and is near imperceptible on the first strikes from a die pair.

A bullion eagle is a bullion eagle, slabs with fancy labels or "emergency issue" are marketing tactics. a "collection" can be complete however you want to collect. It can be only bullion or only proof, or only proof from West Point, or Only proof from sanfrancisco, or one of each date, or one of each mintmark and date, or one of each mintmark, and this year, you could do it as 1 example of the old revers and one example of the new reverse and call it a complete collection also. you could add in the 2007-2008 reverse change or however you want to do it, you by no means need to "collect it all" it's your collection. Whatever makes you happy. if colorized silver eagles make you happy, I say go for it, just don't pay markups in my opinion, buy them from dealers at a discount as damaged/cull coins instead.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  9. 2x2 $averKrazy

I agree on the altered colored coin being cull,but I prefer my sets to be complete if possible,from my understanding their was a couple of years that were done at different mints and then disclosed later then of course the recent emergency release , sounds like it would be virtually impossible to obtain them all anyway ,wihich in my opinion is a shame, because they are one of the most beautiful iconic series ever produced , looking forward to seeing the actually holding one of the new eagle,s does anybody know if there is any truth to the reintroduction of morgan this year

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I believe that with enough study differences would could identified as well as it’s just impossible for everything to be exactly the same from 3 different mints in three different locations. That work clearly has not been done yet and probably never will be, at least not for a long time anyways.

Anyone who doubts that needs to remember the P were found in the first place from a freedom of information act request because people were saying these ASEs seem to have a bit of a different look I wonder if they were made elsewhere

2x2 $averKrazy and John Burgess like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted