As for the grade of my 1856 large upright 5 one cent.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shrews1994, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Xf details in sharpness but damaged. If not I’d call it xf-40?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It's hard for long time coin collectors to get used to the grading inflation which benefits the Third Party Geaders.

This used to be a no doubt VF-damaged and Early American Coppers enthusiasts continue that tradition. The damage is significant an they would probably net the coin to the VG range.

But TPGs would no doubt call this XF-details hoping to catch a novice who just looks up a price in a guidebook and ignores or significantly underestimates the discount associated with the damage.

I personally like damaged coins with detail like this one, but partly because of the heavy discounts. I can't really afford many of these if they were problem free (for the grade) which are the prices quoted in the guide books.

So I recommend enjoying coins for their numismatic interest rather than as an investment.

Paddy54, Shrews1994 and alurid like this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

2009, huh? Wow... time flies.

Thank you.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes he sold all three collections. The early dates was missing one variety 1793 NC-5 with is still unique and in the ANS collection (Although it was on loan at the lot viewing so for the first time a complete set was all in the same place) The middle dates were complete. The late dates was missing one variety 1851 N-42. Still unique and the owner refused to sell it to Dan. Dan's early date set is the most complete set ever assembled. (but there is a collector who is within 3 varieties of duplicating that feat.)

As for the OP coin I call it sharpness of a 45, rough surfaces, some corrosion in the right obv and around STATES, two heavy cuts through the bust, Net Grade VG-7.

Draft saved Draft deleted