As for the grade of my 1856 large upright 5 one cent.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shrews1994, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

Could someone give me a site to grade this type of coin? I've tetried to. But here is a picture of it. It shows the strands of hair Wich does show a good sign of the coins grade. Although the slit it has going through the obverse. Thats were it comes hard to the grade. But the reverses leaves still has the detail on it. I would like a site to determine the grade. If y'all know from these pictures what would it grade in y'all's eyes? And I'll still use the site given. I took it out the flip to get better photos. CM181209-202715003.jpg CM181209-202745004.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Nice old Large Cent! Unfortunately, the slit would make it a details coin and not straight grade for me. VF Details is what I would grade it. Remember, in hand the coin might go XF Details.

4. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

5. Shrews1994

6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Another great historically significant coin, @Shrews1994 !

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

What's up with the 6. It looks like it has fallen into the denticles.

8. Shrews1994

Yeah it's close to the edge. Does that mean anything cause I didn't see a falling 6 variety lol

9. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

The sharpness is very close to Extremely Fine. Unfortunately, the damage - long and deep scratches and a dent on the lowest hair curl - significantly reduces the value.

10. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

There are 22 different varieties. Someone that has the book could probably tell which it is.

11. Shrews1994

Really? I know I have the upright 5 variety.

12. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

N-6 through N-12 and N-20 all have upright 5s. I’m not an expert but hopefully someone who is can tell you which one of those it is.

furham likes this.
  13. Shrews1994

There is a slanted 5 too.

14. Shrews1994

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Sully is talking about Newcomb as opposed to generic type/variety designations.

A few years back (if memory serves me) an entire large cent by variety set was sold by Goldberg's and using the completed listings can be helpful in attributing individual varieties, even more so than Newcomb's hand-written book (which is tough). There are other sites as well. Still, folks like @Conder101 and @Marshall could give you much better pointers as well as correct me if I've made any mistakes. The further away I get from active involvement in this hobby, the less confident I become in both my memory and abilities. Good luck!

Shrews1994 likes this.
  16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm not particularly good with the late dates, but I have the Noyes Books and the upright 5 and low 6 along with a minor defect from the dentils to the left top of the right upright looks like the N-20 to me and is an R3 variety. The obverse was also used on N-8, an R4 variety. The only other obverse close is N-7, but the dentil under the 1 is center rather than to the left side of the upright of 1.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  17. Shrews1994

This is were I'm looking but when I click on it it says it's not updated so it doesn't show me nothing. You are saying the newcomb 20 right? And it says for me to go to PCGHS coin facts. Going to that confuses me. Screenshot_20181210-174520.png Screenshot_20181210-174755.png Screenshot_20181210-174957.png

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Thanks, Marshall. Your kindness is always appreciated.

19. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

looks like upright 5 , according to the MEGA RED book, nice coin but to bad about the scratch GD. $25.00 ------AU50 --- $130.00 certified auctions brought in nice $

Shrews1994 likes this.
  20. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

I'm really not in the grading , but I would say EF 40, but the scratch killed it down to F 12

Shrews1994 likes this.
  21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

In 2009, Dan Holmes sold his collection of early dates and he might have sold his middle date and late date sets as well. This might be the collection you're thinking of. These were about as complete as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted