Artistically gifted but politically inept - Northern Song

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, May 29, 2017.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Northern Song

Emperor Hui Zong (1101-1125). Da Guan Tong Bao 10 cash. Hartill 16.426.

The beautiful slender gold script of the politically inept but artistically gifted Emperor Hui Zong. He was renowned through history as one of China's gifted artists who excelled in calligraphy and the arts. However, his leadership and political aptitude was much lacking as a failed attempt to defeat the Liao resulted in a betrayal from his allies the Jin who turned against him and captured him as well as the Northern Song capital Kaifeng. This marked the end of the Northern Song and heralded the birth of the Southern Song.

This calligraphy is known as the Golden Slender script which was an invention of the emperor. It is known for its slender, sharp yet powerful strokes and is highly praised for its grace and beauty. It is best represented in the large flan of the 10 cash cast coins such as this specimen.

This coin also happens to be the cover representative coin of Hartill's authoritative work.. Chinese Cast Coins.
    20170326_174502.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I still need to get one of these. These are arguably one of the most beautiful coins cast in China.

Loong Siew likes this.
  4. Loong Siew

You should.. they are at the moment rather common

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Now that I've been converted to an "ancient Chinese washer" collector, to quote one of our members, I definitely need to get one of those.

41DcLpA5erL._SY400_.jpg

I'm also going to get the book next month. However, for this month I ordered these:

Screenshot_2017-05-29-14-32-45.png

That is a superb coin @Loong Siew . Would you mind if I PM you if I have any questions in Chinese coins? @TypeCoin971793 has been very gracious in helping me so far with any questions about this hobby.

I'm still doing ancient and medieval European, Near East, and Indian coins, but I want to seriously learn and get into cash coins too. I felt bad neglecting China when it also has such a rich Numismatics history. And of coure, I should eventually get a medieval Japanese coin at some point so as to not leave them completely out.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Phew! => thank God you dudes aren't still aiming at cool coins!!

:woot:

... just jokes ...

Loong-S => you rock! (congrats on scoring that cool new OP washer coin)

emoticon cheers too.gif

Sallent and Loong Siew like this.
  7. Sallent

I'm not out of the Roman and Greek ancients arena. There are plenty of drachms and denarii in my future. Ancient Chinese coins are just one of the many types I now collect. I also collect medievals, ancient Indian coins, and ancient Parthian coins (also areas most people here don't collect.)

I take being a generalist collector seriously, and part of my mission as a generalist collector is to understand as many of the coins from as many of the cultures as I can. Wu Zhu coins are a huge and worthy endeavor for that goal of mine.

gregarious and Loong Siew like this.
  8. Loong Siew

Thank you. Please feel free to reach out to me. I'll try my best to answer to my ability

Sallent likes this.
  9. Loong Siew

Haha. Thanks man.. :cigar:

stevex6 and Sallent like this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ahaha, brutal => a few months ago you swore that you would only collect "silver" coins ... that'll do

:rolleyes:

gregarious likes this.
  11. Sallent

Thanks. Let me ask you, by any chance are you getting the new catalog "One thousand years of Wu Zhu Coinage" or the accompanying Wang Mang book? Now that I ordered them I'm thinking of studying them carefully and doing a thorough review in this forum for both.

I think it is fascinating that there is a new catalog with the potential to supplant or supplement the great Hartill. Maybe the review should be a head to head between both books, as I'm also ordering Harthill next month along with a few more Wu Shu coins.

Loong Siew likes this.
  12. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

coin and artifact collecting should be a many splendid thang... i comment you big O... why be a major when one can be a general?...:D

Sallent likes this.
  13. Sallent

Well, things change. People expand their horizons and learn the error of their old ways. I was wrong to focus only on silver coins. It was a mistake that seriously held me back as a generalist collector, and one which I was glad to rectify. I admit it @stevex6 , I was wrong.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes:

Nice coin Loong-S

Loong Siew likes this.
  15. Loong Siew

Unfortunately I don't. I have Hartill and Schjotch' s book as well as some Chinese references. Personally I'm not a Wu Zhu fan as I prefer to spread my collection throughout China's history.

Sallent likes this.
  16. Loong Siew

Thanks @stevex6

stevex6 likes this.
  17. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

If you were willing to include me on some (any) conversations on this topic, I would be both grateful and honoured. I have a lot of learning to do also.

I do have a very crisp example of the OP (and the smaller H. 16.399), one of my favourite coins. But no photo! I need to have a photography session with my Chinese stuff.

Loong Siew likes this.
  18. Loong Siew

Sure.. we can do that..

Severus Alexander likes this.
  19. Sallent

One example? If there is one thing I know already, it is that when it comes to cash coins I one example is seldom enough. LOL

I have a feeling after I get the two catalogs I ordered, plus Hartill next month, I'll be hunting for a coin with the standard blank reverse, one tiny dot on the reverse, one dash on the reverse, and other minor differences that seem to be so important in Chinese Coinage. I have to admit that I still don't understand those minute little things, but I'm hoping my weekend book readings will shed light on that.

Loong Siew and Severus Alexander like this.
  20. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I have this one. Emperor Hui Zong.

China Hui Zong 1102 - 1106 AD.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  21. Sallent

tenor.gif

Wow, look at those characters, who knew any script could be so beautiful? Fantastic preservation too. You can even see some sand from the cast process embedded on the coin surface.

Truly magnificent! :wideyed:

Muzyck and Loong Siew like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted