Article on Swedish Emergency Issue Coinage

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seattlite86, Oct 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Nice & informative write up & history lesson! :happy:;)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article. I actually have one coin from this era, so now I know some of the context. The obverse is very worn, but has a female figure in front of an anchor and the inscription "hoppet" (hope). Here's a link to one in better condition. Sewden 1719 "Hoppet" 1 Daler Emergency Coin.jpeg

Seattlite86 and kaparthy like this.
  5. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Great write-up! I note that the extreme cold and scorched earth policy should have been a history lesson to at least two armies later on...

And Charles XII was killed by a projectile (arrow? stone?) while inspecting the trenches. Yes, in the good old days the civil authority went out with the troops. I still think that it is a great idea but the capture of Napolean III at Sedan pretty much put an end to that line of thinking.

Back on subject, the coins are interesting in their own right, but the overstrike was well worth pointing out.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Awesome! Looks like yours survived being overstruck. Perhaps that's because it was heavily circulated beforehand. I'm happy to provide context for the coin; I bet it has a history all in its own. if only coins could talk!

I'm glad you enjoyed the article. It seems no one learned from the perils of scorched earth and invading Russia.

One of the issues with the leader being killed in battle was that it almost immediately initiated a conflict at home for succession. Many conscripts and mercenaries would simply quit fighting, while loyalists would hurry home to take a side. What's the point of fighting this foreign war if you might return home to a king who doesn't want you?

7. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Informative article. My previous reading on this area has been from the side of Peter the Great. This provides a different perspective.

It is contributors who make the effort to research and present information such as this that make Coin Talk so valuable for me.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted