Article About Metal Dectorists in the New Yorker

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Nov 17, 2020.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Wow.. Very interesting and super long article.
    I started reading it and have heard similar stories and the laws.

Will read it all when I get my lunch break.
    Thanks for sharing.

SensibleSal66 and Inspector43 like this.
  4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Thanks for sharing. I don't detect, but, I do like anything history related.

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

It won't let me read it because I have an Ad Blocker.
    I tried to read the darkened text then it shows this.

mdl.PNG

I suppose every other person who clicked the link and read it contributed to the complimentery article free read.

Cheapskate prats

rrdenarius likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I do get the New Yorker magazine. I'll have to check it out.

7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..is that you or are you talking bout the New Yorker?!?...><...i've got adblock too..:D

8. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I tried to read it too, but got blocked out. They must have learned something from the Mint.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  9. Dafydd

Dafydd Well-Known Member

I had some trouble too but then managed to read the article by signing in without a subscription in Google. I had read about this before with interest because I used to live not more than 3 miles from the Antiques Centre referred to in the article. I used to metal detect and other than a World War One Sea Mine and hundreds of beer can pull rings was never able to contribute to my ancients collection and did not have the time to pursue the hobby diligently. What is apparent from reading the Metal Detecting press is that "finds" are usually declared in a proper manner and hoards are properly excavated by archeologists in the UK, probably as a result of the success of the good reporting of fair market value being given to finders and the appeal of good publicity. Who wants to hide their light or prowess under a bushel!

10. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Paddyman98 are you mentioned in the article....?

Cheech9712 and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Very interesting thanks for posting it.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  12. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Interesting read. Bad lapse of judgement and quite a severe penalty as a result.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  13. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Despite the enormity of what these people did, the article was almost wryly encouraging, not only for the severity of the penalties, but for the author's care to mention the more commonly followed protocol. To this day, whenever I look at the UKDFD or Portable Antiquities Scheme, it's truly heartening to see the extent to which most detectorists are willing to function almost (at some risk of exaggeration) as an unofficial 'fifth column' for archaeologists.

LakeEffect and DonnaML like this.
  14. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Fascinating article. I had read about the case before, but this was the most detailed treatment. In general, the U.K. system, while not perfect of course, seems to work rather well to incentivize the reporting of hoard finds. Certainly a great deal better than the systems in many Eastern European countries where, as I understand it, all metal detecting of ancient coins and artefacts is illegal. Why would anyone ever report anything they found?

Do I understand correctly from the article that under UK law, bronze coins (or any coins < 10% silver) do not have to be reported, no matter how many one finds? So if a detectorist finds 500 post-250 AD antoniniani, he or she can simply keep or sell them? What if they find a mixed hoard of 500 bronze coins and three silver coins? Do they have to report only the silver coins, or the entire find?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  15. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

...All I know is that, anecdotally, later Roman hoards (presumably running to bronze, but from memory), if they're substantial enough, routinely get coverage from the BBC, including some notice of, for instance, the museums they end up in.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    DonnaML likes this.
  16. Dafydd

Dafydd Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely not, thankfully I have never had any dealings with them!
    I am based in Wales so know the area but from my point of view doubtful provenance is catching a Tiger by the tail, eventually it will bite you!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  17. Dafydd

Dafydd Well-Known Member

Well like many laws it is "grey" and open to interpretation. Theoretically the law relates to precious metals and quantum but in reality the finders now know that provenance enhances value. On the whole , these are intelligent people not looking for wedding rings on beaches and they research topography and history and I am affiliated to a local group to consider "finds" but have no time to participate. I was shown a magnificent Octavian denarius Bull denarius recently declared to the local FLO but did not have to be declared as a single item but its declaration indicated movement from East Wales to West Wales.
    The major problem with museums is that they have budgets but no space to exhibit and as a consequence they subjugate history. I hate them in many respects. For example in Wales, I have seen museums with trash buckets filled with donated WW1 medals but the museum will never show them because they do not have the space. Collectors on the other hand will conduct genealogical research and perpetuate the history of the recipient. Medals donated to museums normally destroy the history of the recipient and this is disgraceful because recent generations will venerate and preserve.
    Museums like most religions can destroy history. Why simply observe when we can participate and ask why ? Why? seems to be a major problem in Covid Society.
    This is probably a subject for another thread.

Cliff Reuter and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  18. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

This article is a fascinating read and a cautionary tale as well.

Thank you for the link.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  19. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

That doesn't matter nearly as much anymore, now that museums are able to put their entire numismatic collections online for everyone to see, as opposed to leaving most of their collections in storage where nobody will ever see or even study them. I don't know, however, what percentage of museums with major coin collections have done that.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I do wonder why museums hold insignificant finds as in anecdotally, buckets? I do know the British museum has in the past sold off stuff like Egyptian scarabs etc that they had in the many thousands - I own a couple of them and one of them is a blue faience example.

DonnaML and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Even the Smithsonian doesn't exhibit their whole numismatic collection. I have contacted the Museum of African American history regarding the donation of a post civil war era plantation scrip note - even though the piece is likely unique and tells a story so far they have not been interested.

DonnaML and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted