Artemide Kunstauktionen e17: Maximian LRB & archeic A weight

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Mar 28, 2021.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

How did you spend your morning? I started mine watching Artemide Kunstauktionen e17. I bet you can't say that five times fast. The auction started with lot 500 and I targeted lot 721. I figured there was time to sleep late. I cut it closer than I planned. The first lot I saw when the computer warmed up was...... lot 721 with a second before closing. Fortunately the bid button worked fine and I picked up a one VNCIA weight with an archeic A. Most folks here are more interested in the unsold lot I picked up since postage was "free".
    maximian-286-310-bi-antoninianus-cyzicus art ast 3.28.21.jpg
    Maximian (286-310). BI Antoninianus. Cyzicus mint, 293 AD.
    Obv. Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev. Emperor standing right, holding sceptre and receiving Victory on globe from Jupiter standing left, holding sceptre; between them, S; in exergue, XXI.
    RIC V 607.
    BI.
    4.19 g.
    21.50 mm.
    Some silvering. About EF.

The one ounce weight.
    ae-ounce-square-commercial-weight-6860489-XL art ast 3.28.21.jpg
    One Ounce Square Commercial Weight, AE, 5th-7th centuries AD.
    Obv. Large A with silver inlay. Note the weight has an archaic A. This form of A was used on early RR struck bronze coins and one cast As, see below.
    Rev. Blank.
    26.74 g.
    22 x 18 mm
    EF
    DSCN2289.JPG DSCN2290.JPG DSCN4686.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. aleppo

aleppo Member

nice purchases! the weight is super interesting, esp with the archaic a.

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@rrdenarius Those are truly great acquisitions. I was looking over the unsolds and thought of you immediately because they had a charming steelyard weight in the shape of a human head. I was even tempted to buy it because it was an interesting piece. I really enjoy these posts of yours where you show us all what you find to be interesting.

Volodya and DonnaML like this.
  5. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

lot 746, the weight, was interesting, but small and I could not see hanging loop connections. I also thought about lot 796, but could not make sense of the letters.

6. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Very nice acquisitions! There was a lot of interesting material in Artemide e17. I managed to win two of my targets myself. It has been refreshing to see an auction that didn't only sell "investment"-coins for "investment"-prices...

Your new weight is beautiful. Are these dated by their weight standard or do you take the letter shape as an indicator?

I have no Roman weights to contribute, but here is a late medieval one:
    MA – Italien, Mailand, Galeazzo Maria Sforza, Münzgewicht.png
    Italy, Milan (Duchy), under Galeazzo Maria Sforza, AE peso monetale (coin weight for the ducato d’oro), ca. 1466–1476 AD. Obv: armored bust of Galeazzo Maria Sforza r. Rev: originally blank; circular punch and retrograde S added after striking. 16mm, 3.34g. Mazza: I Pesi Monetari di Monete Milanesi 24 (or similar).

Draft saved Draft deleted