Arrrrgggghhhh!!!!! Waiting on a "best offer" responce....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrweaseluv, Jan 22, 2023.

1. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

made a best offer but I think the seller is going to let the auction run almost out before he decides... Can't really blame him, she's a beauty or I wouldn't be considering her as she is "raw" :D I'm thinking XF/AU seller is calling it xf detail... if so it's a detail coin I can live with for the right price lol...
    Now I just gotta hope he takes my offer or i win the auction lol

1837ns.png

PamR, tommyc03, NOS and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks nice to me. One thing I wish sellers would do is stop using the word detail in the listing. I've found many will say the grade plus a variation on the word details to describe it but the coins are fine. I think the word should be avoided unless the coin would actually grade as a details coin. I've seen graded coins described as having MS details when the coin is straight graded. This coin looks mighty good to me and I'd call her AU. But, I'm by no means a professional grader, just my opinion. Hope you get it!

PamR, MIGuy, Spark1951 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Awesome coin, I love the original surfaces. In fact, I have the tone-matching younger sister of your coin, purchased this last year DEA5291C-7358-466C-A3E1-7C6269B26892.jpeg 7778329F-6DEA-450C-A7EB-E06281D42F6C.jpeg

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

A 104 an R 3

mrweaseluv and Nathan401 like this.
  6. J2035

J2035 New Member

What’s going between the E and the wreath on the reverse? Surface looks potentially disturbed.

7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Die rust, perhaps?

8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Huh? What's that? You mean like the band ?? :rolleyes::hilarious:

9. Paddy54

I agree 100 % on the word "details" yet I've seen it used from top xellers to the every day Joe selling on ebay.
    By all means "detail" ('s) in the numastics world isnt a word one wants to see in the description.
    Yet again another duel meaning word to be avoided in the use of numastics. I believe that a better word would be < grade or description > I personally find it distracting while surfing the listings...to be caught up in click bait,and or a description that hints to a problem coin.
    I agree with good images , a visual item, that shows any defects or its quality.
    So potential buyer understands exactly what they are receiving.
    But yes when I see Au. Details....my next question is detailed how? Cleaned, altered or tooled? Environmental???

MIGuy likes this.
  10. Paddy54

I believe that the area in question is strike though...as well rim damage. Tough call not having in hand.
    Reverse clashes.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The "rim damage" looks to me like a sloppy job of erasing the photo background.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Which is really the only sensible way to do it IMO -- the longer you wait to accept an offer, the more opportunity there is for someone else to make a higher offer.

Marsden likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Yes at first it looks like a sloppy crop job....no its a rim issue, that from the image to go on I believe that it was a mint error. Not damage or pmd.

14. rte

rte Well-Known Member

It does to me too.
    Which brings up another question, Why would someone go to the trouble to cover the background?

Mystery solved (OP edited)

Looks like a great coin for the grade.
    Good luck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  15. mrweaseluv

yes is was my bad crappy cropping (covering the background)
    as for the offer, got e-mail from seller this morning say he's going to let the auction run and wished me luck lol....

16. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

To be fair, you made the offer within the first 12 hours of a 7 day auction

Cheech9712 likes this.
  17. mrweaseluv

Agreed, I didn't expect him to accept to be honest, but I hoped hehe... will be riding the auction closely

rte likes this.
  18. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I like it a lot! The 1837 dime is definitely tougher than the 1837 half dime.

I don't have a no stars dime, even though I have the 1838-O half dime!

Nathan401 and Paddy54 like this.
  19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I’m not sure I truly understand the term detailed. Care to help me?

20. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

A coin can have the “details” of a particular grade of coin - XF, AU or MS etc but it isn’t getting a grade because of a problem- cleaned, whizzed, environmental damage.

So you get a slab that states VF details- polished or whatever. That is a details coin. So if you’re talking about a coin that doesn’t have a problem, avoid talking about its details.

bikergeek and Cheech9712 like this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Thanks. That clears that up

Draft saved Draft deleted