Arrived today 1964-D Peace Dollar by Daniel Carr

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dwhiz, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

I'd like to have one as a joke coin - to "punk" coin collecting friends. That's only different from wanting one to commit fraud by intent, not form.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rawbuyer

rawbuyer Member

the problem is it could fool a new collector who has money to spend. i see it all the time in the historic americana business i am in...a collector spends $20,000.00 on a fake lincoln letter...they find out when they try to sell it...then they are DONE with collecting....this is a fact..i have seen it first hand...i have had to tell people they have fake autographs after they bought them at a show or from another "dealer"....then they say " i am done collecting, too many fakes out there"

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There are hundreds of US pattern coins that never were released either. So they can be counterfeited also? They had the same history basically as the 1964D peace. They were both, designed, dies produced, struck, and then not released into circulation. That would make the have-nots happy and the holders of expensive patterns very unhappy. Since there were no 1918 Matte proof Lincoln or 1945 Steel cent, why not make those on the same premise as Dcarr ? Use any 95% copper, or use a 1918 plain cent to say it is just a make-off.

He doesn't see it his problem( as said in a different post) if who he sells them to, then turns around and sells them as real to unsuspecting novices.

Jim

5. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I would also throw out that I would bet someone a steak dinner that 1964d silver dollars DO exist. I think they are hiding under a rock, (or safe deposit box) somewhere. Too many rumors over the years, the same type of rumors as the 1933 double eagles.

EDIT: The good thing about this bet is I will never have to pay since a 64d would never see the light of day as long as the US threatens to impound it. :)

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Thanks for the kind words, and no worries I will never become offended from simple disagreement. :thumb:

Perfectly reasonable people can and do disagree -- and as long as you don't call me names or impugn my character, I will not be offended.

Frankly, I like a little disagreement as it helps both sides form their opinions and makes us all think a little harder about the topic, and I hope you agree. :)

7. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

I am not sure you can call this coin a counterfeit. It was a $1.00 US coin to start with and it is still a $1.00 US coin.

8. medoraman

From the Hobby Act:

.."a reproduction, copy, or counterfeit of an original numismatic item. Such term includes an original numismatic item which has been altered or modified in such a manner that it could reasonably purport to be an original numismatic item other than the one which was altered or modified"

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t131739-2/#ixzz112qb9w6h

So instead of counterfeit it would be altered? I am ok with that, either way it is outside the law regarding the Hobby Act and should be required to have the word COPY stamped on it.

9. rugrats2001

rugrats2001 Seeker of Truth

I would love to. How much do YOU want for your real 1964-D Peace Dollar?

10. medoraman

+1

I really can see why someone would think these are neat, and would want one. I would require the word COPY is stamped in it is all. How are we supposed to get politicians to actively enforce the Hobby Act to protect our hobby against Chinese counterfeits when we are not even willing to enforce the law among ourselves? If I were a politician seeing this, I would say coin collectors do not want Congress to do anything to enforce the Hobby Act, since they themselves are violating it.

11. rawbuyer

rawbuyer Member

Don't give this "coin" any more press time! It's a joke....TRASH!

12. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

I'll give yah a couple hundo thousands for that! Haha!

13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Updated photos NOTICE the srike-thru just to the right of the Y In Liberty and the tell tail markers just left of the mintmark.

Attached Files:

14. LewR

LewR Junior Member

This is the crappola that ruins the entire collection environment. I hope they go directly to H E double toothpicks .....

15. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

So tell me how do you really feel

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Everyone in this hobby has the right to collect what they wish.
    It's not my place to call what they collect, wrong or trash.
    I have no right to say that about what others enjoy to do.

Daniel is a smart guy and took on this project feeling he could defend it.
    Time will tell if he was right. My opinion is not important.

17. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Well I can certainly see your point as both this 64 and the 2009 ASE Mr Carr made should have a copy stamp on them. That said, if he placed a copy stamp on them then nobody would buy them!!:D

Did Mr Carr run out of original art ideas and have to piggy back off the US Mint and their unreleased issues. What's next a 1963 JFK half dollar?? :devil: I'm just sayin' :D

18. scout308

scout308 Junior Member

I saw one of these in a dealers case in a made up holder to look like it was a grade coin.. He had a sticker on it that said ask for price. If you did, he turned it over and had a big sticker that said fake coin, fake holder and used it as a learning tool for shoppers. So not only did it grab attention, it was an educational tool.........right or wrong, its about the intent of the purchaser, but no one can control where they all end up years from now.

I am more worried about the chinese fakes that are selling on ebay for $2-4 each without the word copy. In fact, at a recent gun show, saw a fake CC trade dollar priced well below average price for a real coin in a flip......someone will buy that and really get sc$#d.

19. coop

coop Senior Member

All it takes is someone to submit a real coin to a grading company, replace the coin in the slab with the fake and re-submit and have it graded again and on and on. that is why I don't buy the slab, buy the coin in the slab.

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

How is that possible?

21. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

stupid is forest as stupid does,..

Draft saved Draft deleted