Arrest made in Super Bowl burglary of New England Patriots Rob Gronkowski's house

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by willieboyd2, Mar 23, 2018.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Police in Massachusetts have arrested a man in connection with a burglary at New England Patriots player Rob Gronkowski's home while he was at the Super Bowl. Foxborough police say 31-year-old Anthony Almeida was charged Friday with breaking and entering, receiving stolen property and malicious destruction of property after his home in Randolph was searched.

Police say they have recovered some of the items that were stolen, but they have not found the guns owned by Gronkowski's roommate, CBS Boston reports. The items that have been recovered include an Apple Watch, a Rolex Watch and two rare coins from the 1800's.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rob-gr...eida-arrested-new-england-patriots-super-bowl

Reportedly two US silver dollars were stolen, 1879 PCGS Proof Morgan and 1896 PCGS Proof Morgan.

http://news.coinsblog.ws/2018/03/03/burglary-proof-morgans-stolen-foxboroma

:)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    mikenoodle likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

What are SD's?

4. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I was still editing post, SD = silver dollar.

:)

CoinCorgi likes this.
  5. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

So, the biggest news here-
    Gronk is a coin collector!?!?!?!:jawdrop: WHAT !!!:wideyed:
    Proof Morgans even!!! Wowzers!!:greedy::wideyed::greedy::wideyed:

Mainebill and Beefer518 like this.
  6. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Not really. He has (had?) two coins. That does not make a collector, especially if they were speculative investments. Interesting that it doesn't mention the grades of the coins.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I believe on the numismatic crime thread on another forum they were identified as being proof 63's.

8. heavycam.monstervam

I hate (not really) to be argumentative, but the article says that 2 coins were recovered. NOT that he only has/had 2 coins.

Muzyck likes this.
  9. ronnie58

ronnie58 Active Member

Even a modest observer might denote a tinge of sarcasm here...:wideyed::wacky:
    Good point!

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Hmm. The guy makes his entire persona out of being a big lunkhead, and he collects Morgans. Do think about that just a little.

TypeCoin971793 and halfcent1793 like this.
  11. ronnie58

ronnie58 Active Member

That combo does look a bit worrisome, but then again you can't generalize. Remember that Rosie Greer used to knit. ( I'll leave it open as to whether or not that's relevant, but if pressed I should be able to make a case...)

12. V. Kurt Bellman

It's okay - many here know I love to poke fun at Morgan collectors. Big dumb coins (that nobody wanted when new) for big dumb guys who never got over fetishizing about the Old West. My idea of the Old West worth caring about is in Blazing Saddles.

"It's twue, it's twue!"

halfcent1793 and Beefer518 like this.
  13. ronnie58

ronnie58 Active Member

14. ronnie58

ronnie58 Active Member

(reply text did not post)
    Lol, VKB.
    Interesting to point out the parallel: The Wild West was ~ 1865-95 and Morgans 1878-1904 (except for one), so it's a pretty good fit. Still, all four of my Pa. grandparents were born 1900-1910 - and never owned a six-shooter - so I also see those dollars in a more modern light and I suspect others do as well.
    Be that as it may, you are probably right that Nevada in 1904 didn't look much different than it did in 1878...

15. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

Couldn't find these certs at pcgs
    • 1879 PCGS Proof Morgan 81852050
    • 1896 PCGS Proof Morgan 81296984

16. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Bust Dollars weren't accepted by the public when circulating either. Do the Bust Dollar collectors fall into your big dumb group?:kiss::p

17. V. Kurt Bellman

Purty much. But at least they have rarity going for them. Morgans do not. They're so numerous you can walk on them across most bourses and never touch flooring.

dirty_brian and Bilbo1 like this.
  18. heavycam.monstervam

Dont even go there Kurt, youve openly admitted to being a fan of moderns.

PS - Harumph Harumph

JPeace$ and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  19. V. Kurt Bellman

The irony is that a whole bunch of those moderns are rarer than a bunch of Morgan dates, especially more recent moderns that were sold without a limit, or a high one.

20. heavycam.monstervam

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder i suppose. Heres a nice parting gift.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

I don't care enough about Old West culture to waste two unrecoverable minutes watching it. Now if you have the clip from Young Frankenstein in which Terry Garr is being lifted from the wagon, we can talk.

"Vhy sank you, Herr Doktor."

Draft saved Draft deleted