Arnoldoe's Top 10+⅔ Coins of 2019

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by arnoldoe, Dec 13, 2019.

1. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

Lucillaa.jpg Lucilla Sestertius 26.4 grams 33mm with tag numbered 1051 glued to the Obverse.
    I thought it was pretty interesting with the old tag + nice toning,
    decius453.jpg Trajan Decius Antoninianus, ( I think over-struck on Severus Alexander, Elagabalus or Caracalla.. Ex Otto Helbing Nachfolger 86, Lot 1900 (Nov. 25, 1942), I acquired 19 coins that were all from the same 1942 auction, but sold about half of them..
    [​IMG]
    nicephor26.jpg
    Nicephorus Basilacius SB 1903a Follis, (overstruck on a Class D, E or F follis)
    Struck in Thessalonica, 1078 AD, 27mm 8.2g
    I was pretty happy to get this one unattributed (probably my best deal on a coin so far)
    Harptreeee3.jpg
    Julian II Siliqua from the Harptree Hoard found in 1887 - My first coin from a hoard with a name...
    IMG_0882664.jpg
    Aspendos Stater - A big hoard of these seems to have been found recently,(but it was still my most expensive coin of the year)
    henry iiio.jpg
    Henry III Penny, Moneyer Ioh’s,, obverse: HENRICVS REX III reverse: IOH’ SON LVN DEN
    Ex Lord Stewartby Collection, acquired from SNC, June 2004, HS1678

Heraclius cons3.jpg
    Heraclius, Countermarked in Sicily on a Justin I Follis from Constantinople,
    larissa2.jpg
    Greek THESSALY, Larissa. 3rd century BC. Æ Dichalkon
    Catoo5.jpg M. Cato AR Denarius. Utica, 47-46 BC
    phil344.jpg Celtic Philip II Tetradrachm
    [​IMG]
    + my 2/3rds of a coin.. a Roger II Tari

[​IMG]
    All together(except the gold Tari that I got this week, a few days after i took the picture)

Not as many expensive coins compared to last year(only 2 over $100), but still some pretty interesting coins

Curtisimo, JROMA, tenbobbit and 31 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Cool coins, @arnoldoe ! I think the Trajan Decius overstrike is very interesting. I LOVE the toning on that Lucilla sestertius, too!

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I like the group shot!

The imitative tet is awesome! I'd love that HIII also, he was on my list for this year but it just didn't pan out.

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Thanks for showing them all together - really helps us get a good sense of the size

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done @arnoldoe ! I really like the last four.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You have some interesting coins. It's hard to pick a favorite, but the Trajan Decius is quite interesting, plus the reverse detail is great. I also like the Larissa, Cato, and Philip II. All-in-all, a good collecting year for you.

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Greek THESSALY, Larissa. 3rd century BC. Æ Dichalkon
    My absolute favorite of the bunch. Great year all together!

9. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

That’s a great set...I especially like that Decius overstrike, very interesting coin

10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A terrific list! My favourite has to be the Larissa, a superb coin.

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great group! The Lucilla is my favourite, but that Basilacius with the clear legend on the obverse is an awesome score. Congrats!

12. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great group of coins @arnoldoe . I especially like your Henry III penny; it has a wonderful portrait of the king. The Celtic Philip II tet has also found a great home.

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The group shot is wonderful. As for the coins, the Lucilla is beautiful with its "worn leather" appearance. The overstruck Trajan Decius has a lot going for it.

I don't know much about medieval coins but the Henry III penny has an intriguing portrait.

Looks like you had a nice year!

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

15. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I couldn't possibly pick a favourite, I love all of them. I hope you manage to figure out the undertype on the Decius, and I hope it's SA. :) The Basilacius is surely the best cherrypick of the year for the entire board!!

And thanks for distributing a few of those ex Helbings to the rest of us.
    182.jpg

16. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great collection, thanks for sharing. Provenance to the ground (Julian II Siliqua from the Harptree Hoard found in 1887) is special as is the old collection ticket (Trajan Decius Antoninianus).
    The Heraclius, Countermarked in Sicily is interesting. I have a few counter marks, but nothing that exotic.

17. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Nice group!...I really like the Lucilla..Great coin!

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I was not successful in getting one of these in AMCC2. If you decide to sell any of the others... please let me know :).

arnoldoe likes this.
  19. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Nice score arnoldoe:) I really like the Henry III penny. Thanks for sharing them!

20. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

upload_2019-12-15_11-30-11.png
    Idk, it Looks like there is an L and maybe a C before it, (maybe not) + other than that all I can see is the tied ribbons at the back of the head and a head that looks like it could be Elagabalus, Caracalla, or Severus Alexander

Maybe but, I only have these left.. :angelic:
    helbingg2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted