Arnoldoe Top 10 2021

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by arnoldoe, Dec 31, 2021.

1. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

I was going to try to put my top 10 up earlier, but at least there are still a few hours left in the year :angelic:

philip iii small...jpg
    this one and the next two are from a group lot off Ebay :angelic:..
    1: Kingdom of Macedon. Philip II AR Tetradrachm. Amphipolis, circa 323-315 BC. Struck under Philip III. Laureate head of Zeus right / Nude youth on horseback right, holding palm in right hand and reins in left; ΦIΛIΠΠOY around, thunderbolt and H below, Caduceus before. Le Rider pl. 48, 6; SNG ANS 815. 14,22g
    celt1.jpg
    2: Celts in Eastern Europe AR Tetradrachm.
    Herakleskopf Type. Circa 2nd - 1st century BC. Celticised head of Herakles to right, wearing lion skin headdress; S-form ornament before / Heavily stylised rider on horseback to right; fetter below. ; Lanz 571. 13.94g, 36 mm, ex Kolner auction 77 lot 14

valentiii.jpg
    3: Valentinian III Solidus, 4.4g, 21mm Either Ravenna Mint, or Germanic imitation

commoduss.jpg
    4: Denarius, imitaton of Commodus? 17 mm, 2.31 g
    hyp.jpg
    5: 3rd last Byzantine Emperor Manuel II Palaeologus..
    AR 1/2 Stavraton. Constantinople, AD 1403-1425. Nimbate bust of Christ Pantokrator facing; IC-XC above C-Φ across fields / Facing bust of Manuel; Φ-C across fields. DOC 1455(same dies) 3.64g, 19mm, 6h.
    kushstat.jpg
    6: 35mm Kidarite Dinar -- Reverse on these is almost always messed up..
    Kidarite Huns, Kidara Kushanshah EL Dinar. Boxlo (Balkh) mint, King standing facing, head to left, wearing lotus crown with ribbons, sacrificing at altar and holding trident; to left, trident standard above altar, middle prong surmounted by crescent; to right, Kidarite tamgha above symbol / Siva standing facing, holding diadem and trident; behind, the bull Nandi standing to left. 7.67g, 35mm, 12h.

phil ii.jpg
    7: Philip I Tetradrachm, supposedly the dies for these were made in Rome then shipped to Antioch.
    Philip I , 244-249. Tetradrachm (Billon, 26 mm, 12.34 g, 6 h), Rome mint, for Antioch, 246. AYTOK K M IOYΛ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ CЄB Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Philip I to right, seen from behind. Rev. ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ЄΞΟΥCΙΑC / S - C / MON VRB Eagle with spread wings standing facing, head to left and holding wreath in beak; to upper right, Γ. McAlee 901c. Prieur 307. Extremely fine.

staterr-removebg-preview.png
    8: Caleti Half Stater
    Obverse: Head of Apollo right, the hair decorated in entangled curls; the base of the neck decorated and two patterns of pine cone (?) in front of the face.
    Reverse: Horse leaping to the right; a wild boar charioteer above the back; a bow bent with the arrow under the bell
    2.34g 17mm
    dirham.jpg
    9: ISLAMIC, 'Abbasid Caliphate. temp. Al-Mansur, AH 136-158 / AD 754-775. Dinar (Gold, 19 mm, 4.08 g, 2 h), without mint, AH 157 = AD 773/4. Bernardi 51. Very slightly clipped and with a minor graffito on the reverse, otherwise, extremely fine.

venicehol.jpg
    10: + I think this is the most recently made coin I ever bought (except for fakes)

Italian States, Venezia (Venice, Republic). Domenico Contarini AV Zecchino. Doge CIV, 1659-1675. St. Marco standing to right, holding Gospels and presenting flag to Doge kneeling to left; DVX downwards in field / Christ standing facing, raising hand in benediction and holding Gospels, surrounded by mandorla containing 16 stars. Paolucci 1; Friedberg 1332. 3.44g, 21mm

+ all together
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

A great group. My favorites: 1 (beautiful!), 3, and 7. Also, I know nothing at all about coins like your # 10, but wow! Very impressive.

I hope I haven't missed commenting on anyone's list. If I have, I apologize, but I can assure you that I at least looked at and "liked" every list I saw. Happy New Year to all of you.

curtislclay likes this.
  4. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

I love the diversity.

rrdenarius likes this.
  5. sand

sand Well-Known Member

@arnoldoe Nice treasure for 2021. My favorites are as follows, in the following order :
    #5 Manuel II Half Stavraton
    #3 Valentinian III Solidus
    #1 Philip II Tetradrachm

6. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Great coins. My favorites
    :D:)

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very nice assortment. I love the barbarous Commodus denarius! The Philip II is a very attractive specimen too.

8. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Lots to like, my favorites are #1 & #10

9. AncientNumis

AncientNumis Active Member

Awesome coins! My favourite is definitely #1.

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

My favorites are the Commodus imitative denarius and the celts. Great group

Q

11. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

All impressive, but what stands out for me are #7 - really attractive coin; and #4 - these imitations are very interesting and they keep a mystery.

12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow! What an eclectic group, @arnoldoe! You had a great year! I'm with @zumbly -- my favorites are the barbarous Commodus and the Philip II tet!

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Say what?! That's an eBay coin?? Wow. What a great strike and great preservation :)

That huge Eastern Celts tet is very interesting.

Love the imitative ?Commodus and the Philip I funky chicken.

Congrats on the good year!

Curtisimo likes this.
  14. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Great selections, @arnoldoe.

My favorites are #1, 2 and 10. #1 has such great details, plus great history behind it. #2 is such a large size coin, with cool design. #10 is a coin design I like.

15. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coins. You had a good year.

16. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

upload_2022-1-1_11-5-44.jpeg
    yeah, from this group lot.

17. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just saw your post. You did well, all are beautifull and very diverse ( I love diversity)
    I think #1/6/7 are outstanding.:D I am really into Kidarite/ Hunnic coinage.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Wish You and Your Family a Beautifull 2022....
    John

18. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wow! What a group! Your 2021 looks awesome. My favorites are the Philip II and the imitation Commodus.

You have such a good eye for quality barbarous imitations.

Draft saved Draft deleted