Arminius on Netflix

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Spargrodan, Oct 24, 2020.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Probably louder than the tractor towed 105's. I found the Gothic word for cursed in the Ulfilas translation. This is from Mathew, 5:14. Assuming I am reading the Gothic script correctly it looks something like, "wrikandans" which is nothing like verflucte, nor verdamte, which I might have used. In Luke, 16:21 if found the word for dogs in Gothic and that is, Hundos, still pretty much the same in High German. I am guessing that the movie, Gladiator used modern German, as speakers of Old German, East Gothic, anyway, are hard to come by these days. I never was in Germany but I found my German useful in Turkey where I kept running into returned Gast Arbeiter trying to sell me carpets.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I enjoyed the series. Good story.

Be interested in seeing if they will create a sequel or just leave it.

4. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

I just finished watching the series and I enjoyed it. That's pretty easy to do to me with a Roman historical series. As always, there are historical lapses, but it's entertainment and not a documentary. I agree that it could easily continue with the retribution that came afterwards, and I hope they will consider doing that.

Alegandron likes this.
  5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

2 seconds is a little short. IMO 30 seconds would be enough. I'm getting annoyed with those long battle scenes like those shown on "The Vikings" and similar types of series. Thank goodness for the fast forward button on my remote. :playful:

Draft saved Draft deleted