Argentinian Errors, I need your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Seattlite86, May 24, 2015.

?

Which do you think are errors?

Poll closed May 31, 2015.
  1. The 1992 DDO

100.0%
  2. The 1992 Strange Font

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The 1986 Thick Planchet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not the 1992 DDO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not the 1992 Strange Font

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Not the 1986 Thick Planchet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I am working on cataloging world coins and found what I believe to be errors with my coins from Argentina. I'll type what I believe I'm seeing for each photo. Please let me know what you think about the coins. As far as the photos, I just used a loupe and a phone for camera so I know they're not the best.

This is a normal 10 Centavos from Argentina for reference. KM107
    10 Centavos Regular OBV.JPG 10 Centavos Regular REV.JPG

Here's one I found with strange font. The U in Union, T in Libertad and R in Republica show the strange font I'm mentioning.
    10 Centavos Weird Font OBV.JPG 10 Centavos Weird Font REV.JPG

Here's another KM107 with a DDO. I think this is a legitimate DDO.
    DDO 10 Centavos OBV.JPG DDO 10 Centavos REV.JPG

The 1986 5 Centavos coin KM97.2 is supposed to have a "thin flan" according to Kraus, but mine is thick like the KM97.1. I assume it was just struck on the 1985 thick flan/planchets but am unsure. I hope the photos are clear enough.
    IMG_4430.JPG IMG_4431.JPG IMG_4432.JPG IMG_4433.JPG

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

4. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

I am not collecting these, but if you can't get your answers in here, I can ask a fellow who collects Argentinian errors, see if he knows anything about these.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Also - did you notice that the 1st 10 Centavos is the 19 Sunrays and the 2nd 10 Centavos is the 21 Sunrays :cool:
    There is a difference in reeds also 19 Sunrays has 24 reeds and 21 Sunrays has 27 reeds
    The 19 sunrays was minted in the Santiago de Chile mint so that's why maybe there is a difference in font?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. paddyman98

You meant 1986 not 1996 - Do you have a 1985 KM97.1 thick planchet to compare it?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You have the DDO. The split serifs cinch it. You have it in the Sun's rays, too, and probably elsewhere in the center. Nice going. The letters are so thin, this could easily have been missed, or, if not, dismissed as strike doubling. This is the real deal. :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

I meant 1986, good catch and no, I don't have the 97.1 to compare it to :(

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Seattlite86

Thanks! I use a 10x loupe when I "inspect" my coins and I honestly almost missed it. The only reason I was looking so hard into it was I confused this for the KM110 25 Centavos that has bold and thin fonts. I thought it was a bold font and was looking closer at it. It now gets to reside in a 2x2 and a special "error box" that I have. I think I'll put them in an album when I have enough error coins that are actually error coins. I continue to learn most of what I used to think was an error was not.

10. Seattlite86

Thank you, I'll never turn down free advice/opinions. I am curious about the font on the 1992 as well as the thickness on the planchet. I'm pretty confident the other one is a DDO.

11. Seattlite86

I actually didn't notice. I can't remember what world coin I have but it requires me to count the number of dots around the rim to figure out which .1 or .2 KM it is. Well, I haven't gotten to it yet, but now I might have to go back and count all the rays on my spare coins. Did they do that for all the denominations?

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. paddyman98

Argentina 10 Centavos 1992 had the 2 varieties. The other years 1993 - 2006 had 21 rays and 27 reeds.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. paddyman98

In case you missed my thought ;)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

Ahh, so here's the question then: why did two of the same year denominations have different fonts and rays? I didn't see that listed in my Kraus book.

15. paddyman98

Easy.. The 1992 was milled at 2 different mints. One was in Chile (not Argentina) but I don't know what the other mint was. So they probably had 2 different Obverse dies.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. paddyman98

Seattlite86 likes this.
  17. Seattlite86

I wasn't tracking that Chile minted for Argentina. Thanks for hunting that down. Now, which variety is which?

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. paddyman98

Just wanted to share - I visited Argentina in 2009 I have the 2008 10 Centavos :woot:
    Argentina01.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. paddyman98

The 1992 - 19 sunrays was minted in the Santiago de Chile mint

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. Seattlite86

Nice, did you go to the Casa Rosada?

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. paddyman98

Yes! 2 weeks I was there saw almost everything. Unfortunately I lost my camera so I don't have the pic I took of Casa Rosada. I only have the pics I posted on Facebook :(

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted