Are Your Coins Safe In Your Home Safe?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hobo, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I would say in my case that they are as safe as possible. Not only do I have multiple hiding places, we live on a high floor of a pretty secure condo, with digital entry and cameras. In addition, the windows are the new "hurricane locking" ones, that are hard to open. We also have an alarm, so I'd say it is as safe as it can get, unless a cat burglar wants to scale the wall right in front of the intracoastal waterway. :) If a thief is determined, anything can happen.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

There probably is but most people don't think about it. I know it SOUNDS like a lot of money, but even 200k worth of coins can literally be a smallish box nowadays. I was talking to a dealer at a show a month ago and he pulled out a box of slabbed gold about 18 inches long. They were all double eagles, uncirculated mainly, with some better dates. How much was that one small box worth? I am guessing over 100k fairly easily.

My point is many people just have not adjusted in their mind how much their coins are worth with the rising PM prices. They simply haven't responded. I am afraid there are probably a great many similar collections unprotected in America at this moment. I am sure these will continue. I have even heard of collectors being followed home from coin shows just so the thieves know which houses to hit. They simply follow behind hoping you don't see and when you pull into your drive they just write down the address. :(

Dealers are not the only ones who need to take care going to coin shows nowadays. Myself, I live in a isolated neighborhood, so its easy to spot anyone following, but many others live in areas not so easy.

Take care people, and think about your physical security situation.

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I remember going to a coin show and this dealer had about 3 dozen highly rare museum quality coins...1802 dollars and stuff...and he just folded it up and brought it to his car....no guards.

5. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I have enough security that a burglar is probably going to be disappointed if he invests the time and effort and takes the risk that would be required to get to my stuff.

"All that for this?!?!?" ;)

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Theu force the family to open the safe

no amount of security helps in that case.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

But if armed someones intercepts you and family and says open the safe or we will blow off their knees ( or worse), most would open the safe, no matter how safe it is. Silence on your collection to all ( even some close family members) is the most important factor.

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

my collection is worth about $50 dollars now... BTW - I have a great 1968 Dime to sell....check it out. NO MINT MARK. It is IN THE SAFE in the KITCHEN, BELOW THE SINK.

This is the guard. He sees EVERTYTHING

[​IMG]

9. medoraman

It is. Then you have loudmouths like me who only have a SDB as an option, lol.

I suppose my books would be worth something if someone seriously wanted a hernia. Just the idea of me ever moving and having to pack them up gives me a premature hernia.

10. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

My condo is also protected by S&W and Sig., should we be home during a burglary attempt. :)

11. medoraman

Here is another danger to people who buy bullion.

http://www.startribune.com/business/150173425.html

""Many gold coin salesmen have criminal backgrounds and a history of dishonest dealings. They jump from one outfit to the next, taking customer data with them and using it to repeatedly target the same victims," said Ben Wogsland, a spokesman for Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson"

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

what does this have to do with safes? We've had this thread for 10 years now with no thread drift. Don't start now...

13. medoraman

We've had this thread less than a month. I thought it was illustrating another danger of physical PM ownership, which is what I thought we were discussing.

I didn't know you owned the thread. If Hobo objects to my post I will of course delete it. Please let me know Hobo.

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

:) This is Hobo's pet topic. But I still don't see what the DA's warning has to do with the dangers of Physical possession of gold and silver coins etc.

15. medoraman

I simply thought those who bought physical PM, who by definition would be concerned about the robberies, could also be interested in how their name from dealers is also not safe. "The list" of physical bullion buyers in that instance could be sold to a thief just as easily as to another dealer. This is another security risk, and another reason that physical security, or off site security, would be important.

I simply thought it added another angle to Hobo's main point that physical security is an important thing to consider.

Again, if Hobo thinks its OT, I will delete. :)

Chris

16. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

FWIW - I thought it was relevant to the discussion. Possibly even moreso than a picture of a parrot. :rolleyes:

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

The way I read that warning was that they go from company to company to scam the same old ladies over and over again. White Collar criminals generally don't get involved with break ins. But i could be wrong.

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

And please...don't pout..

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

No, they are not safe. However, the ones I keep at home are relatively cheap (as compared to the ones that live in the bank), so I don't lose much sleep over it.

20. medoraman

There is that Brooklyn attitude again, don't know whether to explain myself, ignore it, protest I am not pouting, or punch you in the mouth.....I think I will go with ignore.

I always feel the same way whenever I go to NYC, I am not sure whether to ignore the sarcasm, the cutting in line, etc or try to throw down. Unfortunately NY seems to really bring out the worst in me. There should be a emoticom for Brooklyn. :)

Maybe a little Joe Pesci with his fists up. :) Yeah, I know he's from Jersey, but still.

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

the problem with the bank is conservation though.

Draft saved Draft deleted