Are you sending in your ATB 5 ozt. 2010 P coins for grading?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mralexanderb, Sep 5, 2011.

1. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I've gotten all 5 of the 2010 P ATB 5 ozt. 3" coins from the U.S. Mint and while inspecting them I cannot see one spot to take down the grade from a 70. Of course, I'm far from being an expert, but I wonder what grades these big coins are getting, coming back from NGC and PCGS. What are the chances of getting all 5 70's if I send all 5 coins in at the same time?

I once sent in 5 2006 reverse proof ASE's that I saw no defects in and they came back as 3 x 69's and 2 x 70's. I had bought these from the U.S. Mint and they never left their capsules.

I'd like to hear your experiences with the TPG's and the 5 ozt. Silver 2010 P ATB's.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I have not seen a 2010 ATB 5oz that has had a ms 70 grade on it. Check the population reports.

4. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Perhaps I should just say neither TPG has graded any MS 70's yet.

Hope this doesn't violate any copyrighted material if so please delete...

5. chridular

chridular Member

I wish you the best of luck. I still firmly believe that whether you get a 69 or 70 grade when you submit them will be purely based on luck. I have examined and sent in many coins that I felt would be 70's and it was about 50/50 between 69 and 70. Anyway, let us know how it goes!

Chris

6. mralexanderb

NGC grades these ATB 5 ozt Silver coins as SP69, SP70, meaning SPecimen type coin. I believe that PCGS also grades them SPxx. In one auction I saw one of these coins labeled SP67, light satin finish. The seller claims that this coin did not go through the satin blasting process and there are only 4 of them!!!

" AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL 5 OUNCE SILVER COIN GRADED SP67 LIGHT SATIN FIRST STRIKE BY PCGS. THIS IS THE COLLECTOR VERSION AND IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE GONE THROUGH THE VAPOR BLASTED PROCESS BEFORE BEING RELEASED BY THE US MINT. HOWEVER A LIMITED NUMBER OF THEM ESCAPED FROM THE MINT WITHOUT THE VAPOR BLAST PROCESS INCLUDING THIS COIN. IT'S ESTIMATED THAT 5% WERE STRUCK THIS WAY BUT VERY FEW MADE THE FIRST STRIKE DESIGNATION AND FEW HAVE MADE IT TO THE SECONDARY MARKET.

You can see it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-P-GRAND-CANYON-5OZ-ATB-PCGS-SP67-LIGHT-SATIN-RARE-/370535498955?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item5645a304cb#ht_827wt_1306

I
    s this an error or just a variation of the effects of the finishing process? Or both.

I'd like to hear from more CT members who have sent their 5 ozt coins to the TPGer's before I spend the dollars to get them graded and slabbed for protection.

7. mralexanderb

I never mentioned a MS grade in my original post. I'm talking about the collector versions (P) of the ATB coins. Both NGC and PCGS are grading the 2010 P ATB 3" silver coins as SPxx.

The bullion 5 ozt 3: silver pieces are being graded by NGC & PCGS as MSxx.

I'd like to hear about the Bullion coins being sent in also, and how they graded.

8. mralexanderb

Anyone get their 2010 5 ozt. ATB bullion graded? I'm not counting the one's that APMEX sold and sent in to PCGS. I want to see how a 5 coin set gets graded, even though they claim they don't know whose coin they are grading at any time.

Draft saved Draft deleted