Are you ever happy you get outbid?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by medoraman, Nov 20, 2013.

1. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Yep...in the heat of the moment I seta high bid, then a few minutes later I'll look back and say "wow, why did I put such a high price on it? It is definitely not worth that much to me!" I'll panic for a bit, then someone will outbid me and I'll take a deep breath. Used to happen more often, but I've been much more wise about what I want my maximum bid to be lately.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Hope your dad is well med.
    Several times. Usually after some thought I decide I probably should have bid what I did, and am glad to be sniped. But I haven’t lost any sleep over one’s I was hoping would get snipped but didn’t. I have had some that got away haunt me.
    On the flip side, a few months ago a sold a cheapie LRB on ebay…had the price go up way more than I expected (I actually started to feel bad about the buyer overpaying!). But the winner didn’t pay. So I gave the “runner up” a second chance offer for his high bid. Didn’t want it. Gave the next guy a shot….didn’t want it either. Sold it to the first bidder for cheap. So the hope to get outbid may be went for 3 levels on that coin. Lol.

4. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Yes this has happened to me a few times i have gotten into a bidding mode or i was just bore sometimes bidding on 100 coins and being high bidder on 50 coins or more luckily i usually get out bid and dont bid anymore and usually only get about 10 of the coins at best !!

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

been there done that. lol It hurts when it's a coin you've wanted for a while and you money limit is broken. it was good when I realized I did not have money for other things like food and gas. I joke with my girlfriend about having "cup of noodles" for a week just to get a certain coin. lol

Pocket change 50 and green18 like this.
  6. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Sounds like my most recent Heritage experience.

And Yes I have had some close calls on ebay before and been so happy that some other guy beat me.

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

More than a few times , on ebay it's usually a Bust half or a Civil War token . Usually it's when I become a bidiot and bid more than I planned because I didn't want to lose it . Though I've learned from it , it still happens at least once a year . Thank God for even bigger bidiots .

8. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

I've become a pretty conservative bidder but even so there have been times that I'm glad that I didn't win. This is particularly true when the listing is for a coin I already own and I only find out after the fact.
    More often than not though, I find myself regretting not bidding more and winning. I hate losing and I hate the stomach-dropping moment when I'm the highest bidder up til the last few seconds ....and sniped!

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Been happy someone beat me or saved me a few times.

Hope your father is ok!

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I do it all the time not just on coins usually it's cause I pay too much or at a live auction I hate being outbid and I frequently keep going way beyond where I should just cause I hate losing or I get in a bidding war with someone I don't like and try to bury them in it and get caught or ill bid on something cause it seems like a good idea and later I think why the hell did I bid on that crap and when i get outbid I'm like thank god being someone that is also in the antiques business I bid on thousands of items at hundreds of auctions a year and even after over 20 years I still screw up
    Hope your dad is well!!

11. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Now that's funny:eek:

Bing likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted