Are you a "serious" collector? And why or why not?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by 74Teen, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Are you a serious collector?

1. No

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Yes

34 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Have been, not so much any more.

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Would like to be, but can't for <state reason>

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. 74Teen

74Teen Member

Is you is or is you ain't? And how come?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

It doesn't bother me if people say "penny" if that's what you mean.

4. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

Umm.. well I dedicate my life to coin collecting but ehst do you mean by "serious" collector. Im not an expert in anything in coins so I dont know if im a serious coin collector, but I buy silver and Pm's often while Im coin roll hunting almost every single day and observe doubled dies and on the occasion pick up some very nice coins.

5. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Nope, quite frivolous and playful. Sometimes I even mock coins and banknotes for my personal amusement.

6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Coming form a family that has been collecting since the 1870s, I have to be a serious collector or I would be shunned from the family. Having said that, I am not rich enough to be a serious collector.

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I'm starting to become a serious collector, though I've only been collecting for a few years. I have quite a few pieces of coin literature and specialize in die varieties, in which I consider myself pretty knowledgable. I have only been recently purchasing coins in the triple digit ranges, but now with a part-time job I have been buying coins that interest me more frequently. I consider myself much more of an "educator" than collector, but I am serious about both in my mind. Unlike some people that have a long history of collecting in the family, I am pretty much the only person in my family who collects. I'm much of a self-made collector.

8. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

I think so I spend more time per day on it than I do walking the dog.

9. chip

chip Novice collector

I would be more serious but there are just too many things that take up a persons time, things that take precedence over my fun hobby. At least if I keep it fun perhaps I will stick with it for some time.

10. Henslac

Henslac New Member

I am not as serious as most on this board, but am more serious than the average joe. I have a large set of Indian head cents, and buffalo and liberty nickels. I have about 70% of the wheat cent set. I have all the state, and ATB quarters as well as prez dollars. Got a large set of Franklins and Kennedys. Also got some Mercury Dimes. So you tell me. Is that serious or not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

No, I wouldn't consider myself a "serious" collector. I don't spend enough time researching about coins. I am at the phase where I buy a little of everything to determine what I would like to collect on a serious note in the future.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Serious? Come now, that's a very serious question and one that can only be seriously answered by a person who is seriously engaged in the field of collecting. Otherwise, their opinion/response couldn't be taken seriously. Quite seriously, I'm a tad bit south of serious...........

13. WRSiegel

WRSiegel Freshman

Same here Tyler. School seems to get in the way a little bit of being a "serious" collector.

14. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Serious? Hiding from the girlfriend to pay for things over the phone, intercepting packages before the receipt can be read....... I'd say I've now passed that phase. I have been going a bit too fast lately.... Must have blinked when I flew past "hazardous" but I think I hit the brakes before things got "critical" or "life threatening" :eek: ;)

15. I never think i out grew coin collecting but feel it the other way round.
    When i first started all my friends didnt ever mention a slab coin or a proof we had never heard or seen one.
    We found all we had in friends pocket change mostly the ones that would hang out at the old country store just down the road from our home.
    Todays collectors have coins id never dream id see in my life time and i got to tell you i spend hours each night looking on coin talk for them as many have posted some eye popers here.
    I still look same as ever and i am still finding a few that i like metal detecting.
    If i could get into more modern coins i might could get more interested.
    Anyway i am a coin nut my books my coins and time here is more than proof.
    Thanks for a great thread.

16. green18

So Woody? You serious? :devil:

17. green18

Yup. I think so. In all sense of the word 'serious' I think we be all factored in in some way, shape or form.

18. green18

Be it 'little' or 'large', we're there......:)

19. Pacecar

Pacecar Well-Known Member

Yes I am and please don't call me Shirley.

20. scyther

scyther New Member

Yeah I'm a pretty serious coin collector. I have all the state quarters and I found a nickel from 1938. I even have some $2 bills in my room. I think it's fair to I'm a edited.

21. Raymond Beracha

Raymond Beracha Active Member

I don't use the word numis...numis...numis...coin collector in conversation.

Draft saved Draft deleted