Are you a man (or woman) of the cloth?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Ana Silverbell, May 31, 2016.

1. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I purchased a raw, 1964-D quarter at a coin shop for a few bucks. What made this coin unique was that it was struck through cloth. The coin was interesting enough to me to have it slabbed. (See pics.) The weave pattern of the cloth is well-defined. Apparently, this type of error is usually caused when a mint employee cleaning a die with a cloth inadvertently lets a piece of cloth remain in the press so that it gets between the planchet and the die: the cloth is pressed onto the coin, causing the weave pattern. Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to have others post their struck-through-cloth, U.S., coins. I would like to see who has the earliest date. (It won't be me.)

1964.D.Obv1.jpg 1964.D.Obv2.jpg 1964.D.Obv3.jpg 1964.D.Rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Very cool. I like it!

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It simply doesn't get any cooler than this for me, Ana Silverbell. This is an error of very niche appeal, but in that small niche it's pretty spectacular. :)

5. Ana Silverbell

Thank you jwitten and SuperDave. I am sure you also noticed how the cloth affected the rim strike on the reverse.

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Very cool , I love the look of it . Can't believe they sold it so cheaply .

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Very cool, indeed! I'm guessing that it was a piece of canvas, like a Mint bag, judging from the coarseness of the weave.

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Very nice. There is also another minor error on the Reverse side. A Misaligned Die Strike. See the left side false double rim :wideyed:

*I see you mentioned that the cloth affected the other side.. I don't think that's the case.. But that's my opinion.

TJ1952 likes this.
  9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Brilliant!...and I don't mean the luster. Sorry, wish I had one to post.

10. Ana Silverbell

Thank you for the comment. You make a good point. Actually, I don't know if cloth can even cause a die to misalign. I was speculating that the cloth was responsible for the misaligned die.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

@Ana Silverbell, Your example is the industries best explanation of how this occurs.

Again, I love these errors! I also get the definition:

http://www.error-ref.com/struck-through-miscellaneous-foreign-matter-cloth/

They never seem the list the possible reasons of how or why these anomalies happen. I'm even hesitant to call them anomalies. Are they just accidents, incompetence or malicious intent? I guess there are dozens of reasons. I picture the mint production floor as an industrial type area and workers with greasy rags hanging out of their back pockets. There are probably rags all over the place. It's machinery making these coins. Machinery needs oil and grease. The workers are probably constantly wiping down the equipment. You would think, if a rag or foreign matter could get between the die and the planchet....how many fingers have been struck thru? Ouch!

Ana Silverbell likes this.
  12. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Quite a score for just a few bucks! Very nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted