Are web notes worth saving?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by masterswimmer, Jun 10, 2019.

1. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

As I've mentioned in another thread, I found these bills in a very small hoard of my uncle's collection.

Keep? Spend?

Thoughts?

As always, thank you all for your helpful guidance.

20190610_204217.jpg
    20190610_204250.jpg
    20190610_204340.jpg
    20190610_204412.jpg

Legomaster1 and Tlberg like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Keep. Not a paper collector here but some of the numbers are pretty cool. And besides, why not keep them as a remembrance of your uncle?

Rheingold and masterswimmer like this.
  4. masterswimmer

I can't agree more with it being a part of my uncle's legacy. The thing is, there is over 400 dollar bills. He was not a collector in the traditional sense. His spouse didn't even know he collected. I didn't know. I found a cigar box with the bills and only surmised he was a closet collector when I examined the bills and noticed a large preponderance of significant serial #'s. A huge amount are 'almost' #'s. A few are really nice. All are circulated.

Tlberg likes this.
  5. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

Webs are keepers in my mind, but I get your point.

masterswimmer likes this.
  6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

All worth keeping. There's only $1 invested in each one, they have to be worth 5 times that. More in better condition.

Legomaster1, Tlberg and masterswimmer like this.
  7. masterswimmer

$5 for circulated web notes? I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. Definite keepers.

Legomaster1 and Tlberg like this.
  8. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

9. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Heck, I would say so

10. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Keep them, for sure. Not only are they valuable to collectors, have a low face value, are in decent condition, but, you also won’t find these again.
    These notes were last released before the WEB press was scrapped in the mid 1990s.
    So, why not keep them?

As I said before, I keep ALL 1980s $1 notes, but, that’s just because I don’t see them that often. (It’s quite uncommon to come across a $1 note from before Series 2003A or 2006.)

Tlberg, masterswimmer and Hookman like this.
  11. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

13. masterswimmer

The lookup is as follows:

The note series is 1988A in the dropdown menu.
    The F09003030V is the serial #.
    The front plate is the tiny little number '4' on the lower right corner just above the larger '6'.
    The back plate is the tiny little microscopic '8' on the reverse in the upper right quadrant.

I hope that clears up things a bit.

Hookman and Tlberg like this.
  14. masterswimmer

15. masterswimmer

Thanks Lego. Makes logical sense. I'll keep them. Besides, there are a lot of 'almost' serial numbers in the cigar box.

My uncle wasn't the traditional collector in the buy what he likes type of collection. He was just a save what he thinks is significant type of collector. Nothing slabbed. Nothing in books. Nothing in holder's. Everything stacked in a cigar box. Everything collected from his pocket change. In order for me to determine the cigar box contained anything of significance it required me to scour the contents in a CSI type of search.

Before I realized the box was something a little special I did dip into it and spent probably $15-$20 of the bills. It was actually joining Coin Talk that opened my eyes to checking the contents more closely. I was never a paper money collector, only coins.

The members on CT schooled me 100%.

FYI, I have no idea whatsoever the bills I passed on using the stack as spending money. Fortunately it was only $15-$20. Could have been a lot worse. There's still a solid $415 left over.

Hookman, Legomaster1 and Tlberg like this.
  16. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

are they all webs or some just fancy numbers? 400 web notes would be quite a Hoard :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  17. masterswimmer

Nope, those are the only web notes. The others are serial numbers that have repeaters, radars, low #'s, almosts, and basically numbers that you can see he thought were special enough to save but are actually just spenders. All of them are 1988A with a very few 1993. None more recent than 1993 though.

Tlberg likes this.
  18. masterswimmer

In addition, I'd say with relative certainty that he didn't know anything about web notes. These were just coincidentally saved due to the serial number being cool to him.

Tlberg likes this.
  19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

He was not a collector, he was an accumulator.
    I would keep a few of the nicer notes, then sell or spend the rest.

20. masterswimmer

Fair representation of his accumulation ;)

21. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

So your Uncle was saving cool serials & accidentally caught the webs? Very cool! Glad to read you will keep them :)

Draft saved Draft deleted