Are 'waffled' coins worth anything?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coinsnake, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

I saw some waffled coins for sale on eBay and was wondering if it would be worth buying any of these. Some other questions:

Do they have any collector value?

Will they in the future, or are they just something to have so you can say you have one?

Have any of you bought these?

Are they really from the mint or do you think its a scam?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

1.) They have collector value, as they are error coins cancelled by the Mint.
    2.) They will have future value, and they are nice curiosities.
    3.) Nope, never bought one. Hoping to get one at a December show.
    4.) They are really from the Mint. They are not a scam at all.

4. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

I just bought a 2008 D Alaska Qtr. For about $7 with shipping. Kinda cool to have since I live in AK. Thanks for the input.

5. coop

coop Senior Member

In case some may not know what they are, here is an image.
    [​IMG]

john65999, capthank and Wizank like this.
  6. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

I think they are neat and have added a few to my error collection, though I don't consider them errors.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

wait til the price goes up on these and you will be able to get really cheap counterfeit waffled coins from the Chinese ...

Hookman and TonkawaBill like this.
  8. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Although waffling is used by the mint on coins that may have some error or another you need to remember that the waffling itself is not an error, it is more like a cancellation on a stamp. It is the government's way of saying "no longer legal tender". Will these have value in the future? Who knows, but if you make it someone will collect it!

Richard

9. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

ziggy9 is right in that there is no legal tender vale to them and the mint doesn't object to them trading in the open marketplace.

TonkawaBill likes this.
  10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Waffled coins are about the same value as what you'd get for breakfast at Denny's.......

TonkawaBill and paddyman98 like this.
  11. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

Very good responses. I agree also with ziggy when he said "If you make it, someone will collect them". There are two kinds of waffle coins. There is the blank waffles and the printed waffles which actually demand a higher price. I have sold the printed ones before (raw and uncertified) for about $15.00 a piece.

TonkawaBill and love old coins like this.
  12. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

they probably sell ok

TonkawaBill likes this.
  13. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

waffle coins

i have a couple grom years ago i thin k there of canadian quarters, you cab barely pick out some letters around the rim, really need a strong magnafier, which im going to pick up tommorow. they
    look like waffles but there very old and a buddy of mine who has a few rolls of unopened 1942 topac nickles gave me them. one has writing around the rim the other i dont think, but
    when i get a new camera this week ill post a few pics,, sick of the crappy pics i take with the 7 mega pixal junk i have

TonkawaBill likes this.
  14. green18

Hey Maggie. Your pics ain't half bad......:)

15. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Yep. Makes me wonder though; since these are not legal tender anyway will they even fall under the counterfeit laws? I doubt it. I think the mint could care less if someone foreign or domestic were making waffle coins.

TonkawaBill likes this.
  16. wazzappenning

wazzappenning Member

SHHH... dont give them any ideas.

TonkawaBill likes this.
  17. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

waffles coins pics

heres a couple i have that i mentioned earlier.. with a good magnifying glass, close up view i can see some letters and other writing

assortedwafflecoins 020.jpg assortedwafflecoins 021.jpg assortedwafflecoins 022.jpg

TonkawaBill likes this.
  18. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

maggie put some mo-pure on them and ,we got breakfast! oh for thoses of you who don't know Mo-Pure it's the bomb 100 % Canadian amber maple syrup......once you try Mo...you'll leave Mrs. Butterworth in the dust!

TonkawaBill likes this.
  19. green18

I think both those applications would ruin my teeth.....

TonkawaBill likes this.
  20. Douglas armstrong

Douglas armstrong New Member

I have a waffled penny, it is a1966 penny, does any one know if these are rare, found in box from an auction, a few year ago, haven't seen any thing like it before, I believe it may be very rare.

TonkawaBill likes this.
  21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If it is a US 1966 cent then it was "waffled" by someone else. The mint didn't have a "waffling" machine at that time. I don't believe they got the machine until around 1999 or 2000.

TonkawaBill and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted