Are u.s. proof coins legal tender?.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by elaine 1970, Oct 5, 2007.

1. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I thought the answer was always 42.

NSP likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

only on Friday

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Now if you're gonna play that game the REAL answer is 14 :)

But - the question was answered at least 3 times early in the thread by those who said - yes, Proof coins are legal tender.

What they didn't do is to say why they are legal tender, and the answer to that is because the law says they are. What law ? Take your pick, you can start with the Coinage Act of 1965, or any of the specific laws that allowed the coins to be minted in the first place. And anybody that wants to see the laws for themselves can look them up in the US Code.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Whatever simple question you asked is not on this thread so who knows what you asked?

6. thomas mozzillo

7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

He didn't. My post was providing evidence that his one and only post on this forum was the troll-like post that you quoted.

Edit: he still only has one post.

8. mqqn

mqqn New Member

I guess the internet is 100% universal - a new, one post member reviving a 9 year old necro-thread.

The interesting part here is the apparent indignancy over "useless narrative" even though this was the person's first post.

The internet and social media has indeed proven that opinions are like, well, you know, and everyone has one.

Now we are all forced to see them all.

Back on topic - Yes - proof coins are legal tender. You can pay a one cent bill with a 1943 copper Lincoln cent if you want. You can drive with your feet if you want, but that doesn't mean it's to be done.

As an aside to this thread, and almost on topic kind-of. I used to work for a photoengraving shop, one where we were occasionally audited by the US Gov because we could concievably have printed money as well as they do.

One day I decided to get my entire check in crisp, new, consecutively serialed one dollar bills, which I took back to the print shop and matted together into a "coupon book", and put a golden foil "Peoria Engraving" seal on the face of the brown craft-paper "booklet".

I then proceeded to spend my "coupons" around town (ironically in Peoria Illinois - same town as reported earlier in this thread about the fellow who spent his mint coins at McDonalds - but I digress...).

At one point I remember buying burgers at a Burger King, and I opened up my coupon book and tore off a couple of dollars and gave it to the clerk, who asked me to wait while he got the manager to come over, after which the clerk showed the manager my dollars and told him "he tore them out of a book!" -

Manager said they looked like dollars and walked away, my mission seemingly completed.

Enjoy your holiday weekend my coin collecting friends, and enjoy the necro-thread.

best

mqqn

9. thomas mozzillo

Thank you for your prompt reply.

10. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Anything produced by the Franklin mint are not coins.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That’s not true. They’ve produced legal tender for foreign countries before

CamaroDMD likes this.
  12. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Ok, to be more specific, we need to know what coins he bought.

Draft saved Draft deleted