Are they really "of the Thasians"?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Mar 9, 2021.

1. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Illya is a fella! His friend and disciple, Prof. Francois de Callatay, has argued that the "Aesillas" monogram on the Roman Thasians is untenable but the "Sura" of the Aesillas connection on the Thasians still stands absolutely. Look them up on, ac search, CNG research etc.

Pavlos likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great thread @Pavlos ! I believe that mine is of the actual Thasos style but I confess I don’t know enough about these to be sure. Some great coins shown by all.
    1F11ABCE-C787-405B-852E-872B3D9FAEDA.jpeg
    Islands off Thrace
    Thasos AR Tetradracm, struck ca. 140-110 BC
    Dia.: 29 mm
    Wt.: 16.58 g
    Obv.: Wreathed head of Dionysus, right
    Rev.: Hercules standing right holding club; ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ in left field, ΗΡΑΚΛΕΟΥΣ in right field, ΘΑΣΙΟΝ in exergue. Μ to left of figure.
    Ref.: Thasiennes 51
    Ex arnoldoe Collection

Pavlos, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  4. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Maybe your coin is RPC I, 4128?
    I have one of these types, and like on yours, the date is off flan; however, I attributed mine as RPC I, 4137 because the hair curls under the ear are straight and not like on RPC I, 4128.
    On mine there is a very small part, just a dot, of what would be the date, but it could be anything like the top part of the letter K or Δ

25.69 mm, 14.101 g
    Seleucis and Pieria, Antiochia ad Orontem 30/29 BC
    upload_2021-3-10_15-33-22.png

5. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

My Thasian, which I attributed based on the hair curls falling on the neck, don't know if that is something to take into account. I think the "real" ones have longer curls like the one of Curtisimo.

33 x 34 mm, 16.701 g
    Thasos, 168/167 - 148 BC, Hellenistic Period
    SNG Copenhagen 1039; Göbl OTA Class I; SG-1759; BMC 72; Le Rider, Thasiennes 51; HGC 6, 359; Prokopov, Silberprägung, Group X, 483; SNG Delepierre 839; Thasos CN_6163 in: Corpus Nummorum

Ob.: Wreathed head of young Dionysus, r. wearing taenia and ivy wreath with five leaves and two fruits. Hair dress rolled and with two curls falling on his back.
    Rev.: HΡAKΛEOYΣ ΣΩTHΡOΣ ΘAΣIΩN, nude, wreathed Herakles standing l., left knee bent, holding club and lion skin draped over left arm; M in inner left field

as you can see, the line where Herakles is standing is completely skewed, oh mei :(
    upload_2021-3-10_15-55-22.png upload_2021-3-10_15-55-34.png

6. Ryan McVay

Ryan McVay Well-Known Member

Nope, I think you have it covered. I am waiting to see if/when Bill writes the book!

NewStyleKing likes this.
  7. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

Here are my two examples from Thasos. The tetradrachm was minted circa 148-90/80 BC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Johndakerftw, Pavlos and Bing like this.
  8. Julianceltic

Julianceltic New Member

9. Julianceltic

Julianceltic New Member

I have these . Hopefully getting another on auction on Tuesday

10. Ryan McVay

Ryan McVay Well-Known Member

Nope that sounds about right. I'd just add that there are also a lot of fakes out there too.

Draft saved Draft deleted