Are theses items overpriced?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sullysullinburg, May 29, 2015.

1. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

A friend of mine approached me and asked if I had anything for sale. I gave him my eBay link and he said the items were overpriced. So I ask you are they overpriced? i did some research on the coins before I put them up for a fair price but let me know if I didn't let me know.

eBay Link: http://www.ebay.com/usr/sullysullinburg

Thanks for any input!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is gonna bite on the 1969 mint set with a required opening bid of $6 plus shipping costs of $2.32.

4. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Not at all my friend, i believe your prices are very fair,i am not interested in any of the pieces but if someone was you wouldn't be ripping them off or anything !!

5. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

The mint set is the only thing that is a little much everything else is a ok i believe !!

6. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

I don't think they are overpriced at all.
    The 1969 mint set may seem to be overpriced to some,But so many have been cut apart for the half dollar (how many are still in the OGP ???)
    The spotting may be a little more then most would want at that price,but all your items seem to be on par for the prices asked.
    Not dis"in your friend but I think he's trying to get something for nothing.
    Personally there was a time when I would cut these apart for the half,quarter & dime but lately I have lots of remorse about cutting them apart (65-70) for the reason posted.

On the 54-s half they are relatively common even in 64 FBL but still not out of line price wise.
    Good luck with your sales.

7. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I'd glady take a '69 set for 6 dollars any day.

8. Blissskr

That's a $6 opening bid plus $2.32 shipping so at min $8.32. Here's two of them for $6.50 w/free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-10-COI...961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4d12d311
    and there is plenty more available under the min of $8.32 that Op has his starting at.

I think most are still in the OGP as they are worth more that way rather than cutting the half out. With a mintage of 129,881,800 which includes the 1,817,392 that appeared in mint sets the 1969 D Kennedy half dollar isn't exactly scarce in any way. I don't think the 1969 sets have been cut up like the 1970 sets have been when they contained a non intended for circulation coin. It's practically a losing proposition cutting up 69's for the half dollars. Unless the half is a high grade conditional rarity the intact sets sell for more. Also plenty of BIN w/shipping costs under the min $$$ OP is asking his auction to open at.

9. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

10. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

Is there a big interest in modern coins like this?

11. chip

chip Novice collector

Heck those prices are not too high, I think your friend wants you to pay him to take the coins.

imrich likes this.
  12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Check the mint set for 1969-D/D dime (FS-501). It's a pretty dramatic shift. If you have it, then the price is way too cheap for the mint set.

13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

One thing that is working against you is that you only have a feedback score of 5. Not much you can do about that other than sell more stuff.

14. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I personally don't believe the lot listed is overpriced, and hope he isn't a "best friend". I'd recommend not telling him about future listings. Just a suggestion: if you bundled the coins as a lot, discounting by half the eBay fees, shipped in a small flat rate box, and listed on CT sales, I'd bet you'd have a quick sale.

JMHO

Twobit likes this.
  15. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

Point taken.
    But lets also not forget the silver price run up in the 80's & again just a few short years ago (melt value was $7-$7.50 each).
    And in all reality finding nice unc/gem business strike album coins dime,quarter,half is a pretty tall order mainly because the halfs were melted & the (65-70 obw dime/quarter) were not saved in large quantity's and command a bit of a premium when/if you can find em.
    So where do you think they come from? (mint sets would be the correct answer)

Sure there's plenty of Half $ rolls on ebay but how many of the survivors have been bouncing from dealer to dealer in and out of tubes getting all banged up over the past 50 years?
    My guess would be most of them.

16. Blissskr

Who exactly melted the 40% halfs? Mostly these trade as bullion because it's more expensive for refiners to melt them down then it is 90%. There are countless high grade 40% coins out there because people hoarded them for years based on them being silver and the fact Kennedy was assassinated and quickly placed on the half dollar coin. The 1970 coins are the ones that came from mint sets because they couldn't have come from anywhere else. Not to say no one cut up earlier mint sets from high grade coins but look at the mintage numbers of all other 40% Kennedy's there is plenty of them out there. I buy lots of 40% and even MS coins can be had for bullion price sometimes even cheaper because they are so plentiful.

Draft saved Draft deleted