Are These Worth Keeping?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by EatYourWheatPennies, Jun 3, 2018.

1. EatYourWheatPennies

EatYourWheatPennies Active Member

Are these worth keeping? IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1089.JPG IMG_1090.JPG IMG_1093.JPG IMG_1094.JPG IMG_1095.JPG IMG_1096.JPG IMG_1097.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

The cents are beautiful. If you are putting a set together they would be a superb addition. I can’t see any real value much over face....... The bicentennial quarter holds a warm spot in my heart. It was the bicentennial releases that really fueled my love of coins as a youngster. I love them. Sadly, these were minted for two years (1975-1976) in the billions. They are common as can be and will likely never be worth more than face value. But yes, I would save it!

Joshua Lemons and LA_Geezer like this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

All spenders. The 1997 is in good condition. But those zinc cents decompose quickly.
    If you like it you can put it in a flip and save it.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

All change is worth keeping. Throw it all in various denomination bins and keep forever. :)

DEA, JeffC and LA_Geezer like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have many a zincoln that has survived a flip, an airtite and rolls. What makes you think they are set for desolation?

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The flip will protect it a little more than if it is exposed to more air and humidity.
    I live in an arid climate so that helps. Air tite will help even more.
    I meant if it is not protected it will rapidly disintegrate compared to copper cents.

8. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Definitely keep them if you get enjoyment from them. Not a bad deal for 28 cents.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I guess I don't have that problem, most that I find roll searching or pocket change go back into rolls with like coins.

10. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was a kid starting out collecting in the early 90's, I thought bicentennial quarters were the best. I saved every one I found. As I got older, I found out they weren't that special and ended up redeeming them at the bank for cash to buy better coins. I still love seeing them in change though.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I would be embarrassed to admit how many super size cups full of those I have in the bottom of my safe. I still hang on to every durned one of em.

JeffC and Clawcoins like this.
  12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Define "worth".

As has been said many times before, this is your hobby to do with as you please.

Cheech9712 and MisterWD like this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I keep all coins that I like, regardless of their value. Isn't that what collecting is all about?

Robert91791, coinsareus10 and JeffC like this.
  14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

No spend em

MisterWD likes this.
  15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

WORTH. the value of a particular object. Cheech dictionary 2017

16. BooksB4Coins

Okay, now define "value". ;)

The point was that "worth" (as well as "value") doesn't necessarily have to be related to money. Think of how spending time with loved ones is certainly "worth" it even though doing so isn't likely to put money into one's pocket. When it comes to coins, unfortunately too many seem to care only about the monetary aspect of collecting as opposed to individual enjoyment. One can collect zinc rot if they enjoy it, but they will be in for a surprise if expecting to strike it rich from their endeavors. :)

Cheech9712 likes this.
  17. Ron W

Ron W Member

For some reason we sell Bi-Centennials (all kinds) at 3-4 times face at our Auctions we just keep holding them up as they come in.

18. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

To me they are. Coin collection shouldn't be too expensive and this is how you start with your collection and move forward as long as you can afford to pay more for other coins. Happy collecting.

19. EatYourWheatPennies

EatYourWheatPennies Active Member

I think the 1968 looks pretty nice

20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Value. A hardware store. You win

21. BooksB4Coins

Grumpy, aren't we? Oh, and your WNY roots are showing, Cheech. ;)

And it's Valu Home Center. True Value is the hardware store.

Watch some Commander Tom and relax, will ya? If need be Danny will move your fanny in the morning. :)

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted