Are these Roman coins real?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by E Pluribus Unum, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Here's a little video about what is believed to be the process of striking ancient coins:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video. It’s interesting that they suggested that the blank was heated before struck. I think that’s a matter of some debate in classical numismatics.

Justin Lee likes this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

This video actually explains what you saw in that much shorter video in a lot of detail.

It's amazing that they were able to mint thousands of coins out of a single pair of bronze dies before the dies wore out. Steel dies might be able to strike 15,000+ coins before wearing out, given the performance of bronze dies.

5. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

Great videos! The Roman minting process is much more sophisticated than I thought. Amazing that the Romans were able to mint a vast quantity of coins within a relatively small tolerance in mass.

6. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Yea, that's why I tried to be soft in my labeling of it as "believed to be the process" rather a hard definitive "this is how they were made". I think just a month or two ago there was a conversation on here about whether they needed to be heated and I think the outcome was that it was doubtful that it was actually needed.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted