Are these polish lines?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, Jan 9, 2017.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

I first thought it was cleaned, but the luster is still there and after some searching I seen others graded 65 with polish lines like this. The lines that look like scratches dissapear when you rotate it in light.

Is it possible this would grade straight?

This isn't a series I'm familiar with.
    Thanks

IMG_0940.PNG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robec

robec Junior Member

They look raised, are they? If so they aren't cleaning hairlines. It's hard to see if there is a mixture of cleaning and die polish, but there could be.

4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

See how the lines run underneath the devices? Thats indicative of die polish lines, therefore i would say YES, regardless of series these always look the same.

BigTee44 likes this.
  5. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

This is possibly a post clash die that has been freshened up. Do you have a photo of the obverse?

BigTee44 likes this.
  6. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Here's the entire coin. I was going to return it but I think it's going to NGC now to see what they say.

I think I'll soak it in acetone before it heads off though.

IMG_0841.JPG

Electron John and Clawcoins like this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

On the available evidence I'm inclined to think them polishing lines. Love the coin. :)

BigTee44 likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What one needs to realize and understand is that just because marks and or scratches are on a die, that does not make them die polish lines. And yeah I realize, only too well, that that's what just about everybody calls any and all such marks but that's not what they are. Die polish lines occur in one way and only one way and that is because dies were polished in one way and only one way.

Most, and maybe even all, of the lines on this coin would be more correctly called the result of die scratches.

BigTee44 likes this.
  9. Dave Waterstraat

The die scratches are what should have been the first stage of freshening up the die. All tool makers know you start with a coarse media to remove enough material to (nearly) eliminate the imperfection that initiated the need to do so and continue with finer media in multiple steps until you achieve an acceptable surface finish. The mints did not always complete this task. They just hit the die with a file and considered it done.

10. GDJMSP

You're partially correct in that yes they do use different grades of material when polishing dies. They start out with a semi-course diamond dust paste and then graduate to finer, and finer diamond dust. And when polished correctly, no lines are ever visible on the die - or the resulting coins. And yes, you are also correct that when re-polishing a die, they did not always do it correctly, they would skip the final steps. And that's when, the only times when, die polish lines would be on the die, and resulting coins.

But no, they don't/didn't ever use a file to polish dies - not ever.

What you're not thinking about is that there are several ways that a die can become scratched, and none of them have anything to do with die polishing. And they are a common occurrence. Usually die scratches have to do with the die being wiped off during its use, or after it has been in storage for a while and prior to use.

Die polish lines do not criss-cross - ever. Nor do they ever run in multiple directions, like the lines on the coin in this post.

11. Dave Waterstraat

The die would have to have been wiped off with something harder than the steel to result in lines this heavy and if you think die polish lines or the first step in the die freshening process do not ever criss-cross you need to study the Morgan Dollar series. Here's an excellent example. http://www.vamworld.com/1921-P+VAM-1B1

Insider likes this.
  12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

As usual this is a good discussion. One of several on this subject I have read on CT. I have disagreed with Doug on much of his posts about "die polish"/"die scratches" - whatever we call it but these are a few things I hope most knowledgeable numismatists can agree on:

1. Raised lines on a coin (curved or straight, long or short, thick or thin, crossed or not) except for pushed up metal with a knife or tool are caused by "lines" imparted to the surface of the die at the mint.

2. There is virtually no way to put a significant line in a die by wiping it with a rag - even one with metal fillings trapped in lubricant! Die steel is tough.

13. robec

robec Junior Member

We went through the same thing in another thread.

What are these if not die polish?

[​IMG]

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  14. Insider

I believe all the disagreement is due to differences of opinion as to what we call these raised lines on the coin (incuse lines into the die surface) and how/when they were imparted to the die. :arghh::rolleyes:

IMO, :bookworm: the solution is simple. Live and let live; post and let post.;) All I can tell you for a fact is that: U.S. MINT EMPLOYEES on the press floor and engraving department call these marks DIE POLISH. For that reason, I never bothered to pin down the floor superintendent or chief engraver to ask what types of "polish" occurred when or how. I can also state for a fact that these lines are called DIE POLISH in every authentication and grading seminar I have attended. It is also a fact (see photo) that whatever we call them - they can go in all directions and they can cross over and under each other depending which are deeper into the die!:D

PS I have also seen a press operator wipe a die in the press with a dirty, thin rag the size of a wash cloth.

15. Insider

:facepalm: Forgot an exception: These are lathe lines on the center (obverse cheek) of a Franklin Half dollar. They are characterized by a concentric circle of raised lines on the coin's surface. Normally, the engravers work on the master hub/die to remove all traces of lathe lines so they are not transferred to the working dies and then to the coin as they have in this case.

Attached Files:

16. SuperDave

17. robec

robec Junior Member

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Could a file card scratch a die?

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

What do they use to take a clash out of a device. Small Dremel type tool?

20. SuperDave

There's a big difference between polishing for initial die prep/touchups during the die's working life, and polishing to remove clashing. With the former, by definition you want to remove as little material as possible. With the latter, you must remove material. The only way to make a clash go away is to abrade the field until the clash is gone, and as any metalworker knows that sort of operation is best accomplished approaching from multiple angles. It's just like automotive bodywork - if you only sand in one direction, you wear a groove into the object. You have to come from multiple angles to keep a reasonable semblance of "level" on the surface.

I'm inclined to think it's done by hand, at least from the evidence of the images we've posted here. A power tool would create multiple parallel scratches instead of the (relatively) individual ones we see in clash polishing, not to mentioned the quantity of curved lines which a rotary tool could only create if you were applying it end-on. And the possibility I mentioned of grooving the die is far greater with a power tool. Further, time is a factor in the operation - you want the die back in service as quickly as possible, unlike initial prep where you're stockpiling dies. So you need to do a lot of work quickly, under time pressure, which is reflected in the haphazard quality of what we're seeing here.

21. GDJMSP

The dremel tool wasn't even invented until 1932, and it was many years after that before it ever saw widespread use. And it was also the first tool of its kind. So that kind of leaves it out of the picture.

In today's world, yeah some dies, Proofs, have fine touchup hand work done on them with dremel tools. (But in years gone past that never happened because there were no tools like that.) But dies used for regular coins, business strikes, do not. There just isn't time nor is there money to allow this. Dies, even the Proofs, are still polished using the same basic method that has been used since the 1800's - it is done by machine, a spinning disk impregnated with diamond dust of vary degrees of fineness.

And in years past, when clashes happened or a die became too worn for further use, the re-polishing was done in exactly the same way - by machine. And if you think about for even a half a minute, this makes perfect sense. Be cause dies are too small and hand work is too imprecise for polishing to be done by hand. Nor were there any tools capable of polishing that could be operated by hand.

Picture a die, and the area where a clash mark occurs. The clash is visible in the fields, the highest point on the die, and the clash mark is very small. So how do you get to something that small, with a hand operated tool, and polish it away ? Answer you don't because you can't - you can't just touch the die at that one spot because all the rest of the fields are just as high as it is. Nor can you hold something (a tool) perfectly flat with your hand and touch one tiny area and NOT touch any adjoining area, and thus damage that adjoining area. So the only way to make that mark go away is to polish the entire die field surface.

And the evidence that this is true are the coins themselves. Think of the 3 legged Buffalo - the top of the 4th leg was polished away because the entire surface of the die fields was polished until it was lowered enough to wear away a portion of the device. If a small area was polished away by hand - you'd have a big lump on the coin because that tiny polished area on the die would be a depression. But this is not the case, the surface of the fields is the same height all the way across, but it was lowered enough to intrude into the device and polish away a portion of the device.

Basically all of this is just common sense, some things simply cannot be done by hand with the tools that were available at the time. And die polish lines always being parallel and not criss-crossing is also common sense because of the method used to polish dies.

And yes, the surface of a die can easily be scratched, and they are scratched. Thinking that something is too hard to be scratched is foolish, even a diamond can be scratched !

Now all of this said yes dies were at time worked on by hand and the marks made by this handwork are well known - they are called tool marks. We know this because tool marks are used in many cases for variety attribution. And hand tools can also scratch dies. But hand tools were not used to polish dies because you can't polish with a hand tool, it simply can't be done.

Draft saved Draft deleted