Are these notes errors?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Write2bfree, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Write2bfree

Write2bfree Active Member

Hi all,

I couldn't find any information on this so I thought I ask the veterans. On the reverse side of the notes, in a series, is the plate number always in order as Well? The ones I found are consecutive in serial number on the obverse but the plate numbers are different. Is this common?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

George McClellan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Because they only use even numbers, not odd numbers.

Just kidding.. I don't know :wacky:

Noah Finney likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

it is a star note :)

Noah Finney likes this.
  5. lettow

lettow Senior Member

First, the notes are not consecutive serial numbers.

Even if they were the back plate number may be in order or they may not be. It all depends on what plates are put on the press.

Noah Finney likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Mission Impossible to get serial numbers and plate number in sequence.

7. Write2bfree

Just curious but the last two digits are 29 for one of the notes and 30 for the other note with the first 6 digits being the same numbers. This is not considered consecutive?

8. Write2bfree

So the plate number does not have to be consecutive? The notes can have different plate numbers not in order? I'm just a little confused because I would think that the plate number would be one above or one less the number of the note that is ahead or before it unless they are all stamped at the same time (ie note number 30000001 would have plate number 2 and note number 3000002 would have plate number 3 and note number 30000000 would have plate number 1 and so on).

Can you clarify please?

9. Write2bfree

Omg I posted the wrong note on top

10. Write2bfree

Sorry let me get the right ones posted

11. Write2bfree

It's crazy...i didn't realize that I had notes with same first and last 2 digits being the same

12. Write2bfree

These are the ones with non consecutive plate numbers and again nevermind...its been a long week...[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Yes.

The new SOI presses, used for the 50-subject $1 notes, hold three plates at a time, which keep cycling around the press. The three plates mounted on a press may or may not have consecutive numbers, and may or may not be mounted on the press in numerical order. In particular, if one plate wears out or becomes damaged, it'll often be replaced while the other two remain in use--so all sorts of different combinations of plates are possible.

The backs of the notes are printed first, then the faces. This means that if you get a stack of consecutive notes, the back plates most often cycle *backwards*. Let's say the BEP put back plates 6, 7, 8 on a press in that order; then a stack of consecutive notes would show back plates 8, 7, 6, 8, 7, 6, 8, ... (Of course, if plate 7 then needed replacing, they might very well replace it with plate 15 or something, and keep running the press with plates 6, 15, 8 installed.)

Also, the sheets are inspected after the back printing, and again after the face printing; each time, defective sheets are removed. That means that the cycle of plate numbers may "skip" occasionally, when a bad sheet is pulled out. (These inspections take place before the serial numbers are even printed, so no star notes are involved here--the bad sheets are just removed and destroyed.) So in general, there's no way to predict the plate number of one note by looking at the plate number of the next consecutive note.

Dollarsavr and Write2bfree like this.
  14. Write2bfree

Thank you!!

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

16. Coinfrog

Coinfrog New Member

Numbers - Thanks for that explanation, most helpful.

17. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Totally agree.

18. Coinfrog

Coinfrog New Member

Stever - Thanks for the "Numbers" input, could not figure out how to reply dicrectly.

19. redeyelou

redeyelou Rollin' dimes

George McClellan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted