Are these Morgan's worth sending off for grading?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bogardis, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Bogardis

Bogardis Active Member

I have no clue what the grade might be for these two, much less the value, so was curious what y'all would do? I know it's impossible to grade a coin from a pic, so I won't even ask lol. I think I'd have better luck selling them if they were professionally graded, what y'all think?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

#1 A 64 #2 damaged details IMHO no.

Bogardis likes this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'm feeling kind tonight.
    IMG_2279-horz.jpg IMG_2289-horz.jpg

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The 1879-CC is rather beat up, damaged and although a nice collectible year, probably wouldn't bring you as much as $150 if graded.

The 1884-S is one of the rarest of all Morgans in Mint State condition, and it'll cost you $10k to own one in MS60. MS64 is a six-figure coin. Do I have your attention yet? :)

This is why it's kinda important to try to grade your coins from images. I'm thinking your 1884-S is likely slightly circulated - there are marks on it I don't believe would happen sitting around in a bag at the Mint - and the hairlines to the left of the profile are possibly evidence of a cleaning.

It may still be a thousand-dollar coin. If it's real; these are rare enough in high grade to be counterfeiting targets.

6. Bogardis

Bogardis Active Member

If the 1884S is a 64 like you say, I will personally send you a thousand bucks when I sell it lol!

SharonG likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The 84-S is AU. Hopefully not cleaned, but it looks sort of unnaturally bright.

Bogardis likes this.
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well I will accept the money with an open hand....:)
    That said these eyes have been open since 4 am this morning . ...they could see anything at this point they need to see a bed.

Bogardis likes this.
  9. Bogardis

Bogardis Active Member

Thanks for all the info! I found them in an old collection from wife's grandfather. He died a while back and her dad died last year. They hoarded coins/bills all throughout the house and yard lol. I'm still finding coins hidden everywhere.

10. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

The 1884S I would say YES! Up to you on the 1879CC, Might cut into the profits, LOL

Bogardis likes this.
  11. SuperDave

Not a chance, in my opinion. Unless somebody comes up with good evidence that it's a fake, though, this one has to get into a TPG slab. Nobody will buy one raw which looks to have a chance at being Mint State. The value drops very quickly below AU55, as they're common in circulated condition.

I'm seeing really_nice fields under the adverse evidence. Maybe even PL on the obverse.

I'm still thinking on whether it's real or not. The images are tilted, so I can't see any spatial relationships accurately, nor enough detail on the mint mark to consider whether or not it's been added.

Bogardis likes this.
  12. Bogardis

Bogardis Active Member

Hopefully more towards the AU 58 side lol. And I agree, hopefully not cleaned

13. Bogardis

Bogardis Active Member

I can take a straight on pic for you, I took them at angle so fields could be seen good

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think I see some evidence of polishing on the obverse of the '84S. This is one reason why I would rather see photos taken from directly overhead. Photos taken at an angle can hide things.

I'm also concerned about the marks across the nose and cheek. They could be staple scratches. If a grader believes them to be staple scratches, the coin would not receive a straight grade.

Chris

Bogardis likes this.
  15. Bogardis

Bogardis Active Member

Attached Files:

16. Bogardis

Bogardis Active Member

True, good point lol

17. Bogardis

Bogardis Active Member

Thanks Chris, here's straight on shot

Attached Files:

18. SuperDave

OK, A somewhat-circulated coin which has been brushed, and probably polished, in an attempt to deceive a potential buyer that it's of higher grade than it actually is. AU-55ish in original condition, and the gouge in front of the nose is sufficiently problematic to make "original surfaces" a doubtful proposition even if it weren't plainly cleaned. It's a "Gosh darnit, almost" kind of coin.

cpm9ball and Bogardis like this.
  19. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Unfortunate. There were hints in the first pics, the next clearly show problems. Looks like prices are all over the place on ebay for AU details 1884S's. So it's an interesting coin.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Bogardis likes this.
  20. Bogardis

Bogardis Active Member

Should have originally posted both views but didn't think about it. I know for now on though. Thanks and yes unfortunate lol

21. Bogardis

Bogardis Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted