Are these 'milk spots'?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Atarian, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

I gently rubbed one (on the devices) with a Q-tip and it had no effect. I then chickened out and left the coin alone.

Are these 'milk spots'?

Thanks.

IMG_3236.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Jonah and the whale?

5. Atarian

That's the one! I was a bit disappointed when it arrived in this condition...

6. Detecto92

I see milk spots on a lot of new coins, do mint workers have a bad case of the sniffles? Sneezing all over coins.

7. green18

From whence came it (country)?

8. Atarian

9. green18

Beautiful piece......

10. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Yes, beautiful.

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I wonder if milk spots are associated with the "frosting of the dies" techniques that the mint uses to try and give every one frost cameos? Maybe from die contamination? Posing it as a question as I have no info on the chemicals used.

12. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

I thought it had to do when they washed the planchets.

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I've heard that also, but most of the "milk spots" are relatively small, and I am wondering if this was the case, how the "wash" stayed on the planchet during the high pressure strike. Oh well,

14. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

i rarely ever see a newer philharmonic without with milk spots

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No one has as of yet discovered what causes milk spots, but there are theories. From what I have read, the mint has no idea what causes them either. And to date, none of their experiments or testing has been able to prevent them.

Nor has any way ever been discovered to remove them. PCGS once offered a $25,000 reward to the first person that could figure out a way to remove them without harming the coin. To my knowledge that reward offer still stands.

There are many peculiarities about milk spots. They do not always appear on the coin right away. Sometimes months or even a year after the coin was minted and then even slabbed, the spots mysteriously appear. And they can grow worse with time, or not. They cannot be dipped off and they cannot be rinsed off.

And many people mistakenly misdiagnose other kinds of spots as being milk spots when they are not milk spots at all.

16. kydedhed

kydedhed Member

17. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I have been working in metallurgy technology development for the last 12 years and I think there is a possibility that these "milk spots" could be silver chloride occuring as a "white" toning or tarnish if you may on the metallic silver surface. This could be due to exposure, do not know exactly how, to hypersaline high or salt environments. Silver chloride has a very low solubility in water at ambient conditions, but solubility does occur to minor extent above 50 oC. It might be worth putting a coin with milk spots in distilled water above 50 oC and note if the spots dissolve.

18. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I don't own any coins with milk spots or I'd put one on our SEM-EDXRF to determine what the composition is. It's been on my coin chemistry "wish list of things to do" for years now.

19. Detecto92

That's a good theory but I've seen them on copper cents too.

20. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Copper I chloride is also white (CuCl not CuCl2). Can also turn slightly green over time. Very low solubility in water at ambient as well.

21. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

For 25 000 US you might consider moving it up a notch on that list

Draft saved Draft deleted