Are these KKK tokens real?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by willieboyd2, Feb 27, 2011.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

i wasn't being all that serious

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pk_boomer

pk_boomer Junior Member

No worries, I understand you were being sarcastic... I just felt it was a bit of an unfair extension to what I said, that I had never implied.

I can appreciate why a person would not want to possess an item that represents something that is so strongly opposed to their principles, and I respect that. But on the other hand, I don't think it's fair to hold anything against anybody who wants to collect these tokens. If you are a coin/token collector, you collect what interests you. If somebody was a collector of exclusively kkk memorabilia, I might personally begin to question their motivations, but it's still their right and they may have genuine interest in the history without necessarily being a white supremacist or even racist.

4. PFCBEGA

PFCBEGA Staff Numismatist HA.com

I hate what Andrew JAckson did to the NAtive Americans in the trail of tears but I wouldn't throw away a $20

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

With their heads still in them . LOL
    rzage

6. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Mine is a 1919

7. lara4228

lara4228 New Member

Wow what a topic of convo!

IMO, if I stumbled across these tokens, fake or real, I would keep them. It shouldn't matter what our personal beliefs are, we are collectors, novice and professional alike. We collect for many various reasons, some collect for personal graitfication, some collect for profit, while others collect for legacy. And I firmly believe that these tokens would be quite a legacy to pass onto someone else.

I'm not going to state my beliefs on here, because that is not the opinion that was asked in the original post. It wasn't posted as a debate. The post was about the authenticity. The fact that they DO exsist, fake or real, they do exsist, therefore in my opinion they are real. The token is just that...a token of a certain controversial groups' beliefs. That in it self makes it authentic and worth while holding onto. I know that if my Granny gave me these in her estate, I would marvel over them and then check out how or why she had them and exactly what their respresentation ment. A really neat research project.

A cool find in my eyes! And yes, if they were mine, I wouldn't hide behind a curtain, I would outright state that they were mine.

8. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I don't believe in burning books, but I got a ton of matchbook covers.

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

You know, beyond the initial shock I agree that the preservation of history is important. Sometimes things are horrific and it is those times that are even more important to preserve in people's minds lest they be repeated.

10. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

wow.. didn't bother reading any of this thread, I just noticed it is 5 pages! Wow so KKK coins are hot? super cool.. I need to get some then cause they sure are popular to talk about.

if anyone has some for sale, please PM me - thanks!

11. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

They are different. But still a part of history.

12. thecoinczar

thecoinczar Member

Those tokens look pretty real to me. Where did you find them? As far as others stating that they should be destroyed, what about all of the Nazi coins from Germany that were minted before and during WWII? Should we destroy all of them also. I know that many people collect them also, no matter how offensive they may be to others.

13. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

History? there's people in klan robes that shop at my publix!

14. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

:eek:

15. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I'm about 99% sure I have seen those before and they are fantasy pieces.

16. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

These types of collectibles stir up controversy frequently. This auction house changed locations after Klan memorabilia auction.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,152971,00.html
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...0A15756C0A9639C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Say what you will, it is interesting history. On a weekend drive through Cohachta, noticed a road sign that said Killin road. Thought that was weird, so looked into it and found out there was a Grand Dragon that lived around there. Breaking out the metal detector as soon as the snow melts and going back to see what can be found.

17. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

I gotta say I totally agree with Duke Kavanaugh and ratpack and such...

While the actions of the KKK are totally despicable and they are ignorance and bigotry incarnate, I can definitely understand why someone would want to collect these pieces. Now, if they collected and believed and encouraged the KKK's values than they are wrong and ignorant as well. However, if they collected them for historical value, I see absolutely nothing wrong.

I have no interest in these coins, but I do have a very strong interest in Nazi coins and medals. Am I a nazi? absolutely not and I think the things that occurred under Nazi rule were some of the worst in all of history. But I want to collect Nazi coins and medals because they are a part of one of the biggest events in the history of the world. I find it so fascinating how it all came about and the events that took place. I am a bad person for this interest? No way. I'm not hanging up swastikas on my walls and preaching Mein Kampf, I simply have and interest in this part of history. Are people that read books about Charles Manson and Ted Bundy supporters of serial killing? of course not.

I think its wrong to judge or condemn someone if they do have an innocent, history based interest in these types of controversial things. And it's also wrong to try to destroy or eliminate these things from existence. Like it was already said, these items are reminders of the horrors of the past, and they will prevent such things from happening in the future.

18. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

I think knowledge that helps explain an entity like Nazi Germany is important for people to know. Coins tell you much about a country. When you look at the coins of pre-WWI imperial Germany, you know the country is wealthy and self-confident. The coins that follow the war track the resulting impoverishment and instability that came with losing it. The swastikas that become ubiquitous on coins after 1933 show the German currency restored (silver coins again circulating) and the entrenched power of the Nazi party. The coins are debased again as WWII gets underway, then gaps in production and sudden design changes occur as Germany loses that war, too.

I have an immediate post war German coin made with the same dies used by the Nazis, but with the swastika polished away. The end of the war as told by one bit of zinc.

You can get that "history in your hand" feeling from coins with stories like those to tell. I think for most of us, experiencing that feeling is one of the reasons we collect coins.

19. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Here is a pointy head jeton that I own. I think its interesting to say the least. ;)
    IMG_9456.jpg IMG_9455.jpg IMG_8166.jpg IMG_8167.jpg
    And a West German (contraband in FRG) sterling jeton celebrating the 100th aniversary of Old Crazy Eye's birth. The reactions that people have to these items, is reason enough to preserve them. "L'est we Forget" :confused:

20. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I collect coins that are probably very offensive to certain people. Like this one:
    1937buff.jpg

Hey, we are going to steal your land and rampage your women, but here is a nice coin in your honor.
    *rolls eyes

21. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

why is it only white supremacist memorabilia that gets collected?
    where's the PLO and black panthers stuff.
    interesting......

Draft saved Draft deleted