Are these just die chips or something else?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by TopcatCoin, May 29, 2015.

1. I picked up a few BU rolls of 2015 Homestead P quarters to look for varieties. I had no luck with what is already known:

http://doubleddie.com/1467540.html

However, I have found several coins that look to have additional raised marks right below the pump, the water bucket, and one with both.

Here is what the coin is supposed to look like:
    20150529_140412836.png

Here is an image of one with an additional raised mark right below the bucket (I have about 12 of these):
    20150529_141011439.png

Here is an image of one with an additional raised mark right below the pump (I have about 6 of these):
    20150529_140913363.png

Finally, here is the only one I found that has raised marks right below both:
    20150529_140812333.png

Are these simply die chips or something else? At first, I thought maybe bag marks but the marks are definitely raised. Any ideas?

Thanks,

TC

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

1) sample
    2) ??? Not much
    3) interesting
    4) very interesting

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The marks under the pump in the last two photos don't appear to be from the same die. Although both might be die gouges, the first one is shaped like a dot dog and the second isn't. I'm guessing that the one with two separate gouges under the pump is a later die state of the one that has the die break under the bucket.

Chris

5. cpm9ball

6. Would you call these die gouges/breaks?

7. cpm9ball

The one under the bucket looks like a die break. The ones under the pump could be die dents, but I'm not 100% sure.

Chris

TopcatCoin and paddyman98 like this.
  8. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Pretty sure #4 is hits from reeding below the pump. Looks to be the same die as #2 with the die chip below the bucket.
    #3 looks the most interesting. Die gouge or die dent.

9. Thanks. For #4, they are raised so how could they be hits from reeding? At first I thought they might be partial lettering or numbers but not clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted