Are these gold dollars worth to buy?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by vanlos, Oct 8, 2015.

1. vanlos

vanlos New Member

Hi, I want to start with US coin collecting and I would like to buy my first gold US coin. I have this offer of five raw coins, but I am not sure if these prices are good. Can someone experienced check this for me? Thank you!

20 dollar 1898 S ($1,412)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 dollar 1881 ($706)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 dollar 1899 ($706)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 dollar 1926 ($768)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 dollar 1932 ($768)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

I think a better price would be 1340 and 685 respectively . The double eagle only as .9675 ozs of gold in it. At todays price of 1145 a oz you would be paying a 400 dollar premium as the gold content is just $1015.74 worth. Usually I like to buy gold when I can get a pretty good price to spot.

4. Jdiablo30

If you are going to spend that kind of money may I suggest buying a certified coin as well since you aren't to familiar with gold coins just yet,maybe better for you financially.

dwhiz and spirityoda like this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm not good enough with gold to know whats real or fake. I would have to buy certified coins.

Silver Boozer and spirityoda like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The photos look like they are nice coins but photos can be deceiving. Since you are new to this, especially a higher cost area of coins, I would suggest you buy from a trusted dealer and buy certified coins. Before buying, you must first decide what area you are most interested in, how much are you will to spend, is this to build a collection or is it an investment? I personally prefer the $2.50 Indian Head Gold. It's a short set, fairly easy to assemble, affordable but there is 1 coin that will cost you thousands to complete the set.

Welcome to CT and have fun.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

On my calculator, .9675 times 1145 is 1107.79.

$1412 might be a fair price for a raw nice uncirculated double eagle, but the one in the picture has some big hits, and it looks to me like it's cleaned -- the field around the date looks scrubbed, and I see some evidence of haloes around the obverse stars. It's hard to be sure from these pictures, though, and I'm no expert.

I agree with the others who recommend buying certified if you're new. It's hard to verify authenticity if you don't have experience.

8. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

It really depends what you think will happen to the price of gold. These appear to be circulated coins (the 32 may not be). They will track spot gold for the most part.

9. Jdiablo30

You were doing 24kt. Double eagles are 22kt I believe. 90% gold 10% copper

10. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

Coinflation has melt for $20 gold coins at $1102 today with spot at $1139.

11. Jdiablo30

Ohh i like that app better then the one I am using now..

12. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Sign up to receive eBay's email "specials" on gold, silver, and bullion. Sometimes the bullion dealers like Apmex and Provident have sales on certified legacy gold with free shipping, etc. Or attend the biggest coin show you can find nearby, and compare, there's plenty of Liberty gold on hand, no shortages right now.

I would agree, nothing but a coin recently certified by PCGS or NGC.

13. vanlos

vanlos New Member

Thanks for all your help. I will try to find some certified coins instead.

14. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

The best advice given to me is if you're going to spend more than $100.00 buy only certified coins by a major grading service. there is so much counterfeit stuff out there, including gold coins

Lisa1980 likes this.
  15. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Or just buy from reputable dealers. Raw doesn't always mean fake if you know what you are doing, and know who to buy from.

Double eagles do have a tiny bit of numismatic value. They never sell at scrap, unless it's a very poor grade. Coinflation is good for pre-1965 silver, but not for these kinds of coins.

16. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

I understand that. I was referring to the post stating that the coins are only worth $1015 in melt when in fact melt was over $1100.

Draft saved Draft deleted