Are these error's?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NEmike, Aug 30, 2015.

1. NEmike

NEmike New Member

While going through a pile of wheat pennies I found the 1916d. I didn't think much of it until I found the 1957 with the same amount missing. I couldn't find any info anywhere else on-line and was hoping someone here new something about it.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The '57D is damage.
    The '16D might be a clip. Please post more pictures of it.

4. NEmike

NEmike New Member

Thanks Rick,
    If you would be so kind to help me learn, how do you know the 57 has damage as opposed to being a clip?

I'll post some more pics of the 16d later.

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

They appear to be straight clips, but I'm no clip expert. I simply keep any Lincoln cents that I find that has a clip on it.

NEmike likes this.
  6. rickmp

You made me go back to look closer. That closer look made me change my mind. The '57D might be a clip too. Better pictures, of both sides as well as the edges, would help.

NEmike likes this.
  7. NEmike

NEmike New Member

rear.JPG side.JPG

8. rickmp

I can't tell. Be patient and wait for someone with more knowledge of these to come along.

9. NEmike

NEmike New Member

Posting this and along with everyone's feedback lead me to searching what a "straight clip" is. At least that explains how this could have happened within the die. I was thinking they had to be the same arc as the diameter of the coin.
    Now I know, Thanks.

10. NEmike

NEmike New Member

The chart below is intended as a representative example of what might occur to cause incomplete planchets. In actuality, the planchet strip is up to 18" wide, and gang punches may have up to 80 dies to punch the blanks. The numbers in the diagram are meant to represent 5 actions of the punch. The first, second and third are normal. The fourth punch has slipped (likely due to a loose guide), causing the punches to overlap the edge. The 5th punch also overlapped the edge, and overlapped the end of the strip as well. As you can see by the drawing, these various misaligned punches cause the incomplete planchets described above.

[​IMG]
    With clipped-planchet errors, size matters-and so does the number of clips. On average, a statehood quarter with a single clip is worth about $50 to $60. It would be worth $75 to $100 with a double clip, $100 to $150 with a triple clip. A coin with particularly dramatic clips, or with more than three clips, could be worth even more. Conversely, a coin with relatively small clips could be worth substantially less.

Draft saved Draft deleted