Are these coins artificially toned??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dalladalla80, May 23, 2019.

1. Dalladalla80

Dalladalla80 Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I don't know whether the coins were toned on purpose or by accident, but they aren't "market acceptable". If you like them, buy them, but don't expect them to bring a premium when you try to sell them. (I'd also say "don't expect them to grade cleanly", but submitting any of these coins for grading would be a waste of money, toning or no.)

Edit to add: I've pulled coins out of old folders that were toned much like this. I do believe it happens naturally, but they aren't sought-after like "naturally" toned MS specimens.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

@-jeffB is 100% correct. I disassembled a 1960 Whitman Mercury dime book not long ago. Most all the dimes exhibited almost identical toning..... Old Whitman books are notorious for toning coins. Some pleasantly... Most unpleasantly.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

They looked cleaned then retoned in albums.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

A couple of those dollars approach what's happening in my silver eagles Dansco album............the fact of the mater is (is) that I purposely placed the eagles in that album, so I suppose you could say that the coins are 'un-naturally (artificially) toned.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If I placed them on a south facing window sill, or a garden fence (for three or four months) it would be natural.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Buy what you like, but I see nothing appealing about those coins.

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Cleaned then put in the album where they toned. Not appealing at all. The cleaning hairlines are really obvious on the 23 d. I’d stay far away

spirityoda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted