Are These 2021 P Pennies Error Or Something Else

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kristymarie0816, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Kristymarie0816

Kristymarie0816 Active Member

Hi everyone I finally went to a PNC bank I go to once in a while when I am in the area and I asked for a box of $25 in pennies all were from 2021 P probably uncirculated, they were bank rolled, but anyway's at first I did not want to even open them but did not want to return them so I just decided to look through them and I found about 32 of them that have this by the bottom of Lincoln's beard, is it an error and if so what error is it, I am wondering a grease strike through or something else, the error on the 2021 P pennies the possible error are all on the same area of the Lincoln penny. Thank you to who might know. upload_2021-3-14_0-56-3.png upload_2021-3-14_0-54-18.png upload_2021-3-14_0-53-36.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

That's cool. Looks like a Lamination error .

capthank likes this.
  4. Kristymarie0816

Thank you very much Peter I appreciate your comment.

capthank likes this.
  5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

This lamination error was posted by another CoinTalk user recently, I don't recall exactly who.

6. Kristymarie0816

OK thank you very much Evan I appreciate your comment.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not a Lamination but a Struck Through issue.

A Lamination is a Planchet flaw and is unique on each coin. A Struck through is when a foriegn material gets stuck on the die like hardened grease and it keeps striking a bunch of blanks continuously.

8. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

Agreed with Paddyman98, It looks like a struck through more than a lamination error, though the glare is throwing me off a little bit.

9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Strike through NOT lamination. Looks like 2021 quality control is lacking :p

10. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone will disagree with this but to be a lamination the metal has to be an alloy of some sort. A copper plated cent can't have a lamination mostly because it's coated in pure copper. It could have a plating flaw though like an inclusion, or old copper in the plating tub with enough dissolved zinc to become brass in which case delamination could then occur.

This coin looks like struck trough grease to me.

Picture sharpness and focus is good. The lighting is horrendous to really see what's going on. Ideally you'd want the coin to appear as natural and "how it looks" not washed out with light.

capthank and Mountain Man like this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Okay, paddyman98 has spoken and I agree. Time to say ado, enjoy a beautiful Sunday afternoon everyone. Be safe

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

A lamination can also occur in an nonalloyed metal from gas bubbles or a foreign object (slag) inclusion.

13. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Feeder Finger scrapes

ZoidMeister likes this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

This is no lam. Neither is it a struckthrough. Nor, for that matter, is it "feeder finger scrapes." This is major die erosion, in all probability accentuated by work on the die, principally, die polishing. I found the thread you're referencing, @Evan Saltis. It's "Strikethrough Progression on 2021 Shield Cent's," started by @CaptainMac, March 5th. How's that for "genealogical" research (j/k)? What's utterly fascinating about it is it dives into the progression of the die erosion via selected examples out of rolls of 2021 cents from the same $25 box. Here's the link: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/strikethrough-progression-on-2021-shield-cents.376536/. We're focusing on the erosion coming off the neck and making its way to the date. If we look at the thread @CaptainMac started, we see it in its primal stage, wherein it's but a blip. If we go to the end of that thread, we see where we left it off. We should figure this out. Here are the pictures, respectively, of this example, and those, hopefully to help us along...

2021DDb.png
    2021DDa.jpg

CaptainMac and Evan Saltis like this.
  15. Fred Weinberg

It's not 'die erosion', imo

Evan Saltis likes this.
  16. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I guessed wrong obviously. Your genealogy line is good, well timed,

I took a look but because I was searching for the wrong thing it didn't come up.

I should have remembered. Obviously a planchet issue wouldn't occur over so many coins! :( sorry for the bad info

thomas mozzillo and eddiespin like this.
  17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You got me close enough, that's what counted. :)

Evan Saltis likes this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

As explained in the previous thread. A strike thru would most likely diminish as more coins were struck. Instead of getting worse. I see nothing that suggests die erosion.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

In that area off the neck going to the date, i.e., the area we're talking about, here, the die is progressively coming apart, or eroding. Perhaps you might have thought I was describing "erosion" in reference to the entire die. I can understand that if you weren't paying attention to what we're trying to determine here. It's that area coming off the neck going to the date that's getting longer and longer and longer. There's something breaking up on the die, as that's progressing. Whatever is causing it is unique to the die.

20. Fred Weinberg

They're Feeder Finger scrapes on the die;
    the Die is not coming apart or eroding.

A fairly common occurrence on other
    denominations, mostly cents and quarters.

ZoidMeister and eddiespin like this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have been paying attention quite well. What you are explaining would leave a void in the die face, thus a blob on the surface of the coin.
    What we are seeing is something being added to the surface of the die, therefore it is recessed in the coins surface.
    It seems that you are seeing the images wrong, What we are seeing is a strike thru.
    In Captain Macs thread is a progression. And the progression is most likely largest to smallest. The built up material fell out and stuck to the die face, and as the die pair struck more coins the material began to diminish from the die face.

eddiespin and Evan Saltis like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted